-34-

JINX

"It's the only way. No one else knows." Rick had just explained that the only way to avoid war with Woodbury was to give up Michonne to the Governor.

"You gonna tell 'em?" Daryl asked as he, Jinx and Hershel stood outside talking to Rick.

"Not till after. We have to do it today; it has to be quiet." Rick confirmed. Daryl looked down, Jinx could tell he didn't like the idea any more than she did.

"You got a plan?" Daryl asked.

"We tell her we need to talk. Away from the others." Daryl glanced over at Hershel who was looking away.

"It just ain't us man." He told Rick with a shake of his head.

"No. No, it isn't." Hershel agreed and walked away.

"We do this. We avoid a fight. No one else dies." Rick told Daryl who finally agreed. "We need someone else." Rick looked at Daryl, he meant Merle.

"I'll talk to him." Daryl confirmed with a nod, but Rick said he'd do it. "I'll go with you." Daryl told him.

"No. Just me." Rick turned and walked away and Daryl watched him go.

Jinx put a hand on Daryl's arm, he looked down, almost like he was surprised to see her there. "This isn't right." She shook her head. Daryl bit his lip and looked down at her, she knew he agreed, but Rick had made the decision and they both knew there was nothing they could do about it.

___

The others were outside setting out barbed wire across the road in an effort to deter the Governor from getting too close again, but Jinx walked inside. Slipping back into Cell Block D for a little peace and quiet. She'd moved back into C Block a couple of days ago, but the constant presence of the others was grating on her and she wanted to get away.

She walked in to see ripped up bits of mattresses all over the floor, "What the fuck?" she muttered to herself, but her question was quickly answered when Merle's head popped out of one of the cells.

"Hey there girlie." He called out to her, she looked at him but said nothing, "Guess you're the reason my brother was so eager to get me back here, huh? I see you shackin' up together now, guess he's sweet on you." She still said nothing. Merle scoffed at her, "still a mute I see, maybe that's why he likes you." He disappeared into the next cell, and she heard the ripping sounds resume.

"No." she told him, "I just don't waste my words on pieces of shit like you." The ripping abruptly stopped, and he reappeared. "You should be grateful, the only reason you're still alive is because of him." She informed him tonelessly.

Merle nodded thoughtfully, "Sorry about your face." He nodded towards the scar on her cheek. She shrugged, she'd gotten over her anger at Merle, he'd taken her there, thrown a couple of punches, but he wasn't the one who did the real damage. "Always the sweet one my baby brother." He told her, "I see the attraction, you're a pretty little thing, but shackin' up, nah that's more effort than it's worth." He seemed to be talking as much to himself as to her now.

"He cares about you," she looked Merle in the eye, and he looked up at her again, "but these people, they're his family now too, don't fuck this up and force him to choose again, not if you actually care about him." She waved her arm in the direction of the other cell block. "He matters here, he's not just a part of the group, he's a leader. As his big brother you should be supporting that, not trying to undermine it." Merle nodded but went back to searching the mattresses for drugs, leaving Jinx to wonder if any of what she'd said had even landed.