-37-

JINX

"Army came in and put these fences up," Daryl told her as they stood outside their destination, "made it a place for the people to go. Last week when we spotted this place there was a bunch of walkers behind this chain-link, keepin' people out like a bunch of guard dogs."

Jinx registered the distant sound of music as the new man in the group spoke, Daryl had introduced him to her as Bob, "so they all just left?" he asked.

"Give a listen." Sasha pointed out with a smug smile.

"You drew 'em out." Michonne stated, her hand resting on her sword.

"Put a boom box out there three days ago." Sasha told her with a smile.

"Hooked it up to two car batteries." Glenn added proudly as he checked his gun.

"Alright, let's make a sweep," Daryl told the group as he slipped through the chain-link fence first. "Make sure it's safe. Grab what you can, we'll come back tomorrow with more people." Jinx followed after him, knife in one hand and a handgun in the other. Everyone else had machine guns or rifles, but as she and Michonne had joined last minute, they only had their weapons from the road.

Before they got to the main building they had to pass through the tents the army had set up, Jinx looked away from some of the dead bodies that still laid there, but debated pausing to pick up some of the medical supplies scattered on the ground. "C'mon." Daryl called out softly, she wasn't sure whether he was talking to her or the whole group.

When they reached the building Daryl lowered his crossbow and perched on the windowsill, banging his elbow on the glass a few times. "Just give it a second." he told them. Jinx stood a little way back watching him, proud of the way he was leading the group. She felt herself smile slightly as she watched his hair fall in his eyes, sure it was even longer than the last time she saw him. Part of her wanted to reach out and push it away, but she wasn't ready to be that close to him again yet, it had felt strange and unfamiliar being on the back of his bike after being out on the road with Michonne, she wasn't used to human contact other than that which haunted her nightmares.

"Okay, I think I got it." The younger boy leaning on the wall near Daryl said, Jinx racked her mind for a moment trying to place him, she knew he was Beth's boyfriend, but she'd never been good with names.

"Got what?" Michonne asked as Jinx watched Daryl look towards the boy.

"I've been trying to guess what Daryl did before the turn." Zack, Jinx had finally remembered his name, explained.

"He's been tryin' to guess for like six weeks." Daryl scoffed and Jinx smiled again at these ease he seemed to be at around these people, he was nothing like the aloof redneck she'd met back in Atlanta and it made her happy.

"Yeah, I'm pacing myself." The boy told Daryl as he sat beside him, "One shot a day."

"Alright, shoot."

"Well, the way you are at the prison, you being on the council, you're able to track, you're helping people, but you're still being kind of... uh surly." Jinx was looking forward to hearing this suggestion, she slipped her gun into its holster and the knife back into its sheath and crossed her arms expectantly, looking away slightly as she saw Daryl's eyes skim over her. "Big swing here. Homicide cop." The boy finished proudly and Jinx and Michonne both started laughing.

"What's so funny?" Daryl asked looking between the two of them.

"Nothing." Jinx said, shaking her head as she tried to stifle her laughter.

"Makes perfect sense." Michonne added.

"Actually, the man's right." Daryl nodded slowly as he spoke, "Undercover."