chapter 3 : brutal

All my muscles were tensed, with my elbows supporting our weight.

I couldn't breathe properly. Tears were starting to form in my eyes. Even so, I still did not move.

"Green light"

I manage to let out a sigh. I tried my best push the body off me but failed. He was too heavy. My legs were starting to feel numb.

I tried again, grunting. Never in my life have I imagine a dead body laying on top of me, but I can imagine me going to a therapist when this nightmare is all over. That is if I'm not dead by then.

I have also never witness someone die right in front of my eyes. But I guess there's always a first time for everything. Not only have I seen one die but rather hundreds of people. In just one day!

I observed my surroundings. Nobody dared to move. Except... except my grandpa?! Hold on. He's not killed? Damn, I don't know whether to be relieved or be confused. Then I was both, relieved that he didn't die and confused how he didn't die.

Oh my god! I'm actually starting to go insane. I should be grateful that my grandpa was alive.

"Red light" the doll turned it's head.

I held another breath. Stopping myself from shaking too much.

Seconds passed. Then, "Green light"

The people who were lucky enough to survive began moving slowly and warily. Unfortunately, I wasn't one of them considering a dead man was pining me down.

Then, I felt a shadow. There was a hand extending to me. I looked up to whoever this hand belongs to.

I didn't expect Sangwoo to be standing in front of me, holding out his hand.

"Get up" he stated.

I quickly grabbed his hand and stood up. The weight that was on me was now gone, both metaphorically and literally. I let out a sigh of relief. It was like heaven sent him to me.

"Red light" The doll turned it's head back.

I instantly stopped on my tracks. So did Sangwoo. I could see him in my peripheral vision. I'm now beside him.

"Thanks" I murmured.

However I didn't get any response. Obviously, since we shouldn't be talking nor moving right now.

"Green light"

We started moving forward. "Don't talk or move when the doll is looking." he said not meeting my eyes.

"I know, I just wanted to thank you" I replied.

At the corner of my eye. I saw player 067 the girl who was beaten up earlier holding player 101's hair. She pulled him down, making him fall backwards.

I smirked, feeling happy for her. Even though I know nothing about their history.

"Red light"

The timer was now less than two minutes. Fewer gunshots were firing. Just a couple more steps and I would cross the finish line.

"Green light"

I made my steps bigger, still making sure I was careful not to stumble. I saw Sangwoo walking behind a man, hiding himself. Smart bastard.

"Red light"

The game went on. A few more seconds until the time is up.

"Green light"

I ran across the finish line along with the other players. I put my hands on my knees, catching my breath. My heart was still beating as fast as before.

I can't believe I made it.

My legs went weak. My knees, and hands now on the ground. I look up to the field, there were still people left.

My eyes went to player 456 stepping on a body. I felt my heart stopped when the doll turned it's head. He tripped but a man quickly grabbed the back of his collar, catching him.

I felt nervous for the both of them. I looked away, I don't want to see what will happen next. I silently prayed for the best.

"Green light"

Finally! The rest of the players crossed the finish line, including player 456 and 199. Some jumping and some diving. I closed my eyes, sighing in relief.

Everyone around me were panting. Others even laying on the sand, catching their breath. I saw my grandpa smiling like he enjoyed every second of it as he crossed the line.

My brows furrowed. Why is he smiling? What is there to be happy for?

I stood up, running to him.

"Why do you look so happy?" was the first thing that came out of my mouth.

"Of course I'm happy. It almost brought back my childhood memories. I felt carefree for one more time." he chuckled, reminiscing.

"People were killed! Don't you see?!" I don't care if I'm raising my voice at him. How can he afford to be delighted when almost half of us are now dead?!

The people around were too busy recollecting themselves. Not caring what was happening to their surroundings.

Wait a damn minute. Something's not right here.

"Follow the rules and just relax. Alright?" I heard his voice in my head.

My mouth parted open when I realized he knew all along that this isn't just a normal game. That's why the prize was unrealistically high. People are going to die for the money.

I stepped back away from him. I don't know what to say. I felt like my brain was going to explode from all the thoughts I was having.

Several gunshots was again heard. I flinched and looked back to the field. There were a few who failed to crossed the line in time.

Moments of silence and then the roof started closing. Leaving us in the darkened room.

---------------------------

Votes and comments are appreciated :)