chapter 8 : heathens

I woke up at around 11 am. Today is the day I'm coming back to the game. I sat up letting out a sigh, accepting my dreadful faith.

I made my way to take a cold shower. My father said a van would pick me up tonight. There's still a lot of time to get ready.

I wore a white button-down cropped shirt paired with a light purple high-waisted pants. I decided to tie my hair into a ponytail, leaving some hairs to frame my face.

Feeling my stomach grumble, I went down to eat. The maids were already working as usual. A Bulgogi (Korean Beef Barbecue) was already served along with a variety of side dishes.

"I know you love this dish so I made this for you. Go on, eat more." the maid gestured. She was the longest to work here, she was here ever since I could remember.

"Thank you," I smiled softly. "By the way, where's grandpa?"

"He has something to attend to," she trailed off. "He said you'd be picked up separately tonight, I'm afraid."

"Is that so?... Thanks for telling me." I could hear the fear and disappointment in my voice. She just nod and looked at me with sympathy in her eyes before leaving.

That means I'm going there alone. I gulped the water to ease my mind and forced myself to finish my food.

Time went by so fast, I didn't even notice it was now 5 pm. The van would pick me up at exactly 7 pm. I felt my throat go dry. 2 more hours and I'm back again to that menacing warehouse.

I was sitting in the living room watching TV while eating a cookie dough ice cream. I always do this whenever I feel anxious and afraid. Another reason is that it's going to be so long until I come back. So I'm making the most of it, even if it's just eating ice cream for the last time.

Moments passed and I looked at my phone. It was now 6:57 pm, I let out a heavy breath then stood up. I told our maid that I'd go and wait for the van.

"Hey, I'll go now."

"Okay, take care y/n" she gave me worried smile.

As I walked to the huge gates, the van appeared just in time. The car door opened and I saw the familiar-looking masked man in the driver's seat. It was strange. I took a sit and didn't say anything.

All of a sudden, a fog-like substance rained down. I was forced to breathe it in. My vision went blurry and my head spun. I closed my eyes then I blacked out.

When I opened my eyes, I was on a bunk bed in the same green outfit. My number 018 was displayed on my left side and back.

I sat up, rubbing my eyes. My eyes scanned the spacious room. A lot of people came back, just like my dad said.

I stood, trying to stretch my stiff limbs. After that, I searched for any familiar faces. Player 456 was the first I saw. He was with my grandpa, conversing. Seems like they're getting along very well.

I jogged over to where they're at.

"Gihun hyung" Sangwoo called the same time as I got there.

"Oh, Sangwoo!... and 018!" Gihun greeted. Sangwoo turned his gaze to my direction. I looked away immediately.

"Hey, good sirs!" Player 199 approached us, smiling.

"Hey, it's my angel" Gihun beamed.

"Thanks for the bus fare, sir. It meant so much for me." 199 bowed at Sangwoo. I raised my brows curiously.

"What, you gave him the bus fare?" Gihun asked, turning to Sangwoo.

"He said he'd walked Yeouido to Ansan." He stated.

"That's heartwarming," I said without thinking. They all looked at me in unison. My eyes met Sangwoo's amused ones. Though I was feeling bashful of how my mouth slipped, I held my ground and gave him a grin.

I heard Gihun chuckle. "Look at us," he went on. "We're like a bunch of soldiers at a training camp huh?"

I crossed my arms. That's an odd way of putting it.

"A training camp is what?" Player 199 asked, seemingly bemused.

"You know, it's like the army shooting guns." Gihun explained and made a finger gun. I couldn't help but crack a smile.

"Oh! Soldiers all training together?" 199 asked and Gihun nodded.

"Speaking of, now that we're on the subject. We should just form our own team, don't you think?" he suggested.

"You're right. Who knows what game they'll have us play next." Sangwoo agreed. "It wouldn't hurt to be in a group so we're ready for anything."

"Hey, you should join us." Gihun said pointing at 199. "I mean, we already know he's crazy strong. You saw it. He lifted me up with one hand like it was nothing."

"You too, 018. You should join us." Gihun added, pointing to me.

"Me? Are you sure?" I asked hesitantly. "I mean that would be great but wouldn't I be a burden to you?"

"You won't be. We'll help each other here." Sangwoo spoke up.

Our eyes meet and I felt my heart skip a beat. Why did it do that?! There's nothing to be nervous about, y/n. I have never been like this when I'm talking to some guys. I inhaled, gathering myself.

"Okay, thanks." I answered shortly.

"You can be new recruit number 1," he gestured to 199. "New recruit number 2," pointing to me. "He's the skilled corporal, and that means I'm the sergeant." He said gesturing to Sangwoo and himself.

I chortled. It's nice to have companions to be with in this unbearable place.

"If you don't mind, may I join your team?" my grandpa asked with a smile. I'm a little bit mad at him for letting me go here alone but whatever.

"Of course. You can be the old major who's been in the army his entire life." Gihun said, smiling.

"Attention all participants. Your mealtime begins now. Please make a line in the center of the room."

"Thank God. I thought they're just gonna let us starve." I let out a relieved breath.

Everyone was already making lines in the center. I followed behind a girl while my team was behind me. When I was in the front, I grabbed a case then made my over to our place.

I was between Sangwoo and 199 while Gihun and grandpa sat across me. Opening the tin, our lunch was an egg over rice and vegetables. Well, it could have been worse.

"Ah, this takes me back," grandpa spoke. "My wife would always make this in the kitchen for me and my kids."

I glanced at him subtly. I miss grandma.

"I wish they could have heated the rice." I remarked, moving the rice with my spoon.

"All we need is a stove. Remember doing that?" Gihun added, motioning to Sangwoo.

"Gihun, let's try to stay on the subject. How about putting your mind to what the game could be?" Sangwoo replied. He's a bit crucial, isn't he?

"Considering last time, I think that there'll be another kid's game, just like I used to." grandpa pondered.

We all looked at his direction. "I bet you're right." Gihun agreed

"I don't know how to play any of those games." 199 said with a frown.

"Hey, listen to me. All those games are easy to learn. And we'll teach them to you." Sangwoo reassured.

"That's much appreciated." 199 thanked him.

And with that, we continued eating contently.

-----------------------

I apologize for the late update. I'll try my best to update once or twice week.

Take care !!