chapter 12 : motion sickness

"Are you alright?" Sangwoo asked as he sat beside me. He took off his jacket, leaving him with his blood-stained shirt. I was trying my hardest to not gawk too much at his appearance.

We were sitting in our own corner, along with player 067.

Now that I think about it, there's a sharp pain in my lips from earlier. The flickering lights made my head hurt a bit. My body felt drained and exhausted. I didn't get any sleep last night... well all of us didn't either.

"Yes, now that 'the purge' was over." I chuckled dryly. I only know that movie because Sung-ho forced me to watch it with him.

"The purge? I know that movie." Player 199 chimed, smiling like we didn't just almost get killed.

I laughed at his enthusiasm. I was feeling grateful that we have someone to keep the atmosphere somehow not depressing.

"Hey, old man. Are you alright? That was dangerous. When did you get up there?" Gihun asked worriedly to my grandpa.

"You scared me to death when I didn't see you with them," I spoke. "What if something happened to you?"

"We were worried about you, sir, when you disappeared." 199 added.

"Nobody got hurt so that's good." Sangwoo remarked.

"At this point, we should know what to call each other. Right?" I suggested, looking at my teammates.

"Yes, why don't we go around and tell each other our names." Gihun agreed, smiling.

"I know your name already." 199 looked at Gihun. "Ssangmun dong." he said innocently which made me giggle.

Gihun laughed, "Ssangmun dong is just my hometown. The name is Seong Gihun."

"How about yours? What's your name?" I asked curiously.

"Ali. Ali Abdul." He answered, smiling.

"Where are you from?"

"Pakistan."

"Pakistan?" Gihun questioned. "Where is that?"

"North of India" Sangwoo was the one who answered.

"He's right" Ali replied.

"Of course, he is." Gihun proudly said, tapping sangwoo's shoulder. "This man here went to SNU-"

"Cho Sangwoo." Sangwoo spoke, interrupting Gihun.

"SNU?" I looked at Sangwoo. "That's where I'm studying too." I beamed.

"Really? That's good! You must be smart then." Gihun cheered.

"Yes, that's good." Sangwoo agreed. "Just don't end up like me." He said with an embarrassed smile.

Cute

"Oh, by the way, my name is y/n."

"Y/n." Sangwoo repeated. I love the way my name sounded in his voice. I felt my cheeks go warm so I instinctively look away, my eyes landing at 067. I suddenly remembered that she hasn't told us her name yet.

I didn't even realize we all turned our attention to her at once.

"Come on, really?" She said timidly.

"We're all teammates here now. We should know about each other, build up a little trust, okay?" Gihun reassured.

build up a little trust. I pursed my lips when he said those words. Guilt and shame run through me. Little did they know the ones who were involved in making this game was sitting next to them.

"Kang Saebyeok" She answered finally.

"Pretty name," Gihun said as a compliment. "Though I'm not sure how well it fits." he added with irony.

"And what's your name sir? If you don't mind." Ali asked my grandfather.

"What?" grandpa responded weakly. "My name? Oh. It was... Uh..." He was trying so hard to remember his name. My heart clenched with pity, I didn't know his dementia was getting worse each day.

"Let me think... They call me...."

I cleared my throat. "It's okay. You don't have to force yourself. I know you'll remember it someday." I said softly.

I felt scared maybe one day he wouldn't know who I am anymore.

"Hey, old man. You must be really shook up today. You know when I'm stressed, my home address slips right out of my head." Gihun added.

"It'll be okay once you get some rest." I heard Sangwoo say. I sure hope so.

Sangwoo turned to me, his voice in a whisper. "Y/n, you can lean on my shoulder if you want to sleep."

My eyes immediately met his. Did I hear it right or am I just being delusional?

"Yes please." My eyes widened. "I-I mean no, you don't have to do that." My voice was in a panic but I still made sure it was low enough for him to hear only.

I saw him chuckle slightly. "Fine but I'll just be on your side so you don't have to be scared." He whispered low.

Damn him and his deep voice!

"Attention players, You shall resume your rest for tonight."

The room went dark. My heart began to quicken and I felt my breath caught in my throat. Before I could think of anything, I pressed myself to Sangwoo.

"I'm sorry." My breath was shaking. I couldn't help but feel like someone would jump out of nowhere and kill me.

"Hey, you don't need to apologize." He whispered in my ear. "I'm with you. You need to rest." He handed me a blanket before putting his arm around my shoulder.

His words were enough to hush the awful thoughts in my mind. And I found peace in his warmth. My eyes slowly closed, feeling comfortable and drowsy.

The quietness lulled me to sleep right away.

I woke up to the blinding lights and classical music playing. I felt sandy-eyed, my limbs heavy and dull. I sensed something move beside me.

Only then did I realize I was clinging to Sangwoo. My sleepiness got replaced immediately by panic. I jolted and tried to put some distance between us.

Good thing no one noticed as everyone was still in their dormant state.

"You're awake," Sangwoo spoke. "Did you sleep well?"

"Oh yes, I did actually." I tried not to sound embarrassed while fixing my hair.

"That's good." Then he patted my head.

It caught me off guard but obviously not in a bad way. I felt my cheeks turn red but I didn't dare break eye contact. "Thanks to you." I muttered.

"Hey old man," Gihun called my grandpa. "Did you stay up all night?"

I fixed my attention to my grandfather. "I thought they would attack again or something." He said.

Shit, I hope he didn't see how I pathetically clung to Sangwoo last night.

"But you must be so exhausted already."

"It's alright. You don't really need that much sleep when you're old." Grandpa replied, trying to reassure us. "And I didn't help when they went after everyone but keeping night watch, well, I can do that."

Sangwoo and I exchanged a knowing look. He just gave me small smile as if he didn't care if the old man saw us. Well, I'm sure he couldn't see well in the dark plus he got dementia.

"Attention players, the third game will begin momentarily. Please follow the staff's instructions and make your way towards the game hall."

--------------------------

Vote and comments are appreciated :3