Chapter 53

Before I'm perceived as a massive bitch for whining about people caring about her, I want, no I need, you to know that I am extremely thankful for people checking up on me.

It's just been a busy week, and there's been so many texts and calls and more texts and calls. From people I already talk to everyday, from people who I only see every once in a while, from people who don't even like me at all. I've explained it all nearly one hundred times, giving the most basic of details until Gen and Stella drug it out of me, and then I decided to tell Hailey to make sure all of our truest friends were in the know.

But I've had enough with trying to make everything sound okay, and if it weren't already Friday, I would just take off of work and take some benadryl, sleep away while the phone rings.

But it is Friday, and work is replaced by the house party Stella has been dying to host for months. She called and let me know that since Declan might be there she would understand if I didn't come, but if I'm going to convince everyone that everything is fine, I can't back out now.

But that doesn't mean I have to change out of my scrubs. Surely adding another coat of mascara will suffice enough. It's not like I have any reason to look like I stepped out of a magazine even if Stella will the moment she opens the front door.

But she doesn't.

Her eyes are wide and full of panic as she invites me inside, looping her arm through mine, Gen doing the same on the other side. Stella being panicked isn't too much of a deal considering the smallest of things get her riled up. It's the silent pity mixed with anger radiating from Gen that has me questioning my decision.

"Okay," I stop them before we even reach the foyer. Better to get this figured out before we make it outside with everyone. "What the hell is going on? You're scaring me."

"They just showed up. I didn't even have time to warn you because I didn't know, and Kennedy just went to call you until we saw your car pull up. I promised her I would tell you, so she didn't have to. I swear I had no idea." Stella turns to face me. "He just walked in, and she was behind him. I didn't know what to say."

"You should have told her bitch ass to leave." Gen mumbles, but I already know Stella could never do that to someone.

"Who?"

"Leilana." Gen shakes her head. "And she has every inch of herself glued to him."

"It's fine. We're not together." It's not fine. That son of a bitch. "He can do whatever he wants." Except play these stupid games.

"It's not fine." Gen says. "As soon as I can force everyone to leave, we're pulling out the ice cream, and I know you already have an overnight bag in your car. It's girl's night."

Stella chimes in with her stern voice that I've only heard once, leaving me with no choice. "And you can't say no. We know you're not completely fine, especially after the shit he just pulled at the dinner I planned. You have to sit and share your feelings, and then we're going to plot how to make him miserable."

"Okay," I nod. "But only because I like the sinister version of Stella and Gen."

I take a deep breath, letting my shoulders drop. "I guess we're going to do this."

"Should I put my bitch face on?"

"No, if anything, that's exactly what he wants, so we kill them with kindness."

"Mary!" Leilana squeals when we step through the back door onto the patio.

When she moves to hug me, I smile. "It's Mary-Kelton actually, and remind me who you are again."