Chapter 41

I stand in front of the door, waiting for someone, anyone, to answer the door. It's been four days and there hasn't been a word from Carly or Colin...Or Nova.

My mind is foggy, which is an effect of the amount of alcohol I've been drinking. I can't think straight, I can't drive, I can't function, nothing. I start to lose my balance and I grip the porch railing, holding on.

"Dustin?" Kevin says, concerned. Yeah, I know he's worried about me, but he has no need to. As soon as I find Nova everything will be okay. It'll all be fine.

"I'm good. I'm- I'm good." I slur, gaining my balance again. I turn to hear footsteps walking towards the door and I smile. Someone's home.

The door opens and I look at Colin, who looks upset. He looks up from his feet, and then at my face. When he notices me, he looks stunned and he backs away, closing the door.

"Colin, wait!" I say, blocking the door from closing. Colin looks back into the house, where Carly stares at me from the end of the hallway.

"Dustin you should leave." Carly says, turning at something in the living room.

"Y'all have- haven't been answering my- my calls." I stutter, the alcohol limiting my speech. Colin looks back at Carly and Carly shakes her head. What the hell is going on?

"Dustin, you should really go." Colin whispers, making eye contact with me once more. I know what he sees. He sees a broken man with bloodshot eyes. He sees a man with tears pricking at the corner of his eyes because he doesn't know what to do without his person. He sees someone weak. And he's right, I am weak without Nova.

"I need to know where the fuck Nova is!" I scream, slamming my hand into the side of the house.

"Dustin!" Carly yells at me, stalking down the hallway. She steps outside and grips the collar of my shirt. She's small, and way too little to take me on, but if she pushes me enough I'll fall. I have no sense of stability right now.

"Nova is safe. Can you live with that?" Carly whispers, close to my face. I look at her devilish ice blue eyes, that flood with a hint of green. She looks insanely serious, like something wrong has happened. Why is she telling me Nova is safe, and why is she asking if I can live with it?

"Carly is Nova-" She cuts me off.

"Dustin, you need to move on." She mumbles, never breaking eye contact.

My heart shatters. What do I need to do? I didn't hear her right, did I? No, no I can't move on. Why do I need to move on? Nova's still mine. She loves me. She said she loves me. She meant it. Did she mean it?

"What do you mean..." I gasp out, my tears now falling. I feel lightheaded and I start to fall back, but Carly catches me.

"Nova can't be with you anymore. If you want to keep her safe, you have to stay away." Colin chimes in as Carly releases the collar of my shirt. My mouth falls open as I look at two of my friends. Or what I thought were my friends.

"I just...I just need to se-see her. Please." I slur, gripping the railing of the porch for support. I've been drinking non stop while looking for Nova. Doug is pissed at me for it, but I normally wait until we finish filming for the day to start drinking.

"I can't let that happen." Colin says, keeping his head up.

"Fuck that! I need to fucking see her!" I shout, pushing myself towards the two people. They step in front of the door and block my drunken body.