nine

The next few days had been a little uneventful. With all the bullet-crazed danger and life threatening situations, you were thankful for being out of harm's way even for a little bit. 

Upon finding out about your true identity, Miss Grimshaw sought that you would be doing chores that the women in camp did -- which you knew nothing about. Washing clothes, cooking, and sewing? You only knew the life of crime with literal bank robbing and killing involved with your late mother. You were the least to be called 'lady-like.'

The morning was calm and relaxing, with mostly everyone doing their share of the more mundane tasks. A pile of clean but ripped clothes was dumped in middle of the circle where the women sat. Each of them had grabbed a piece of clothing, effortlessly sealing the rips with the threads they sewed with. 

The word effortless didn't exist with your lack of knowledge of sewing. It seemed that you stabbed your finger with the needle much more than it did the piece of clothing. Everyone else had finished a handful amount while you were still on your first. What's worse, it seems that you've torn it up more than it needed to be. You were much more suited behind a gun than a needle. 

"Shit... I think my finger's getting numb getting stabbed by the needle." You sheepishly admitted, sucking it as blood had slightly seeped out. 

Chuckles emitted from your sewing circle. You wanted to sink in a hole and hide in your embarrassment for not being able to sew some goddamn clothes. 

"Honey, there's nothing to be ashamed of." The ever so bubbly Karen assured you. "You can't be good at everything you do. I'm actually real jealous of how y' handle a gun!" 

"What's it like to be an outlaw all your life?" Young Tilly Jackson asked, curiosity prevalent in her tone. "There ain't that many women outlaws like you and your momma out there."

"It's a whole lot of thrill." You sighed with a mix of emotions, reminiscing the time you've spent with Black Belle. "I gotta admit, I feel really fortunate to be the daughter of a legendary outlaw. It was even more of a thrill when I had to disguise myself as a man for 10 years."

"How did that feel like?" Abigail jumped in, while sewing and keeping an eye out on young Jack. 

"I certainly got away with a lot more things. Men didn't bat an eye on me 'cause they thought I was one of them. But I couldn't help but feel bad for women out there, and how differently I was treated from my disguise." 

"I'm just glad you can be yourself this time, sweetpea." Mary-Beth reassured you, her lips sneakily curving into a smirk. "So, tell us about the real score between you and Arthur?"

The other girls squealed in the circle, averting their gazes at you. You wanted to dig an even bigger hole you had imagined to forever hide in there. There really was nothing going on between you and Arthur, why the hell did Mary-Beth suddenly ask that?

"Your romance novels have really been getting to you. There's nothing going on with me and Arthur... I don't even think he shares my feelings." Your eyes widened from the words that had just escaped your mouth. Had you really just confessed your feelings for Arthur in front of some giddy women? They definitely will never let this go, it was more people to add for John and Lenny's teasing. 

"We saw you two gettin' a little too cozy in his tent a few nights ago." Tilly playfully elbowed you, causing the other girls to squeal even more.

"N-no..." You stuttered, "I was just treating his wounds, nothing else." 

"With him shirtless???" She continued.

"Hey, it was already off when I walked in!" Your cheeks flushed red as a tomato, the heat in comparison with the afternoon sun.