September 17, 2013

Nishimura Riki

Painting was once my passion.

The hues of color always fascinate me.

Painting was like the other dimension that I found in the middle of my thorny path.

My once dull life was filled with colors when I crossed the border of the other dimension.

And, not long after, the colors that I was fond of disappeared.

So is my passion for it.

It was the 17th of September when I was forced to participate in a painting contest.

"Nishimura Riki from Japan, I viewed your resume and it was written that you used to love to paint and was your hobby, right?" The professor asked

All their heads turned towards me.I remained silent as I placed my pen on the desk. "That's correct." I mumbled.

The professor smiled, "Would you like to participate?"

"No," I stated unequivocally. "Professor, I no longer paint. Please re-read my resume."

My own island was surrounded by a sea of murmurs. When I heard they called me a hard-to-get person, I glared at them.

"I understand," he added, "But if you change your mind, you can come to the office at any time."

I remained motionless and decided not to worry about it because my mind would not change.

"Moving on, Chaeri, I've already put your name on the school quiz bee because I know you'll participate anyway." The professor laughed, which was followed by the laughter of his fishes.

I glanced at this Chaeri and she was smiling too. How is she not offended that her name was listed without her permission? Does she think highly of herself?

"We're not wishing you the best because you already are the best. Lee Chaeri, take first place." The professor chuckled.

Fishes were cheering her on, but lurking behind the fishes were ugly sea urchins.

Some were smirking and gossiping behind her about some nonsense. "I heard she's dating the professor." The three of them laughed.

I looked at Chaeri to see how she was reacting, but she remained calm and a smile never left her lips, despite the fact that the gossiping girls were behind her

"So she's into a ten-year gap, huh? Disgusting."

"She isn't smart, she only got high grades because she's using her body." added by the other sea urchins.

Girls with their the gossips. So insecure, tch.

"Class dismissed. Again, Nishimura Riki, if you change your mind, come to the office anytime." the professor said before exiting the classroom.

Finally, the octopus left.

I can finally sleep in my shell. I rested my arms on my desk and rested my head on it. I was about to close my eyes when I caught a glimpse of the girl who was reading her book.

All of the students went out for lunch, so I was expecting to be alone and rest. But, she stayed too.

I kept staring at her. When my gaze was drawn to her, I felt a sense of warmth. She was cool as a cucumber. Despite the slanderous rumors, she kept her head held high.

"Are you thinking of painting me, Mr. Nishimura?" I was startled when she called me by my surname.

I ignored her and closed my eyes. Her gaze was drawn downward to the notebook, as far as I recall. Did she saw me out of the corner of her eye?