Chapter 1: School's Out

The summer of 2014

As the last moments of a long and grueling school year achingly crept by, the students at Saint Oak Preparatory wistfully daydreamed of exciting trips, staying at home to play video games, or just giving their minds some much-needed rest. Finally, the last bell rang, and a throng of overjoyed teenagers sprinted for the exits, their hearts bursting with joy and excitement. One student was fully prepared; a 14-year-old girl named Ryan, listening to hip-hop music through her headphones. J Freeze had always been one of her favorite artists, something she shared with her friends. Sensing the presence of someone behind her as the hairs on her neck stood up, the girl pressed pause on her smartphone. Before the person slowly approaching could touch her, she grabbed his hand and flipped him over, dumping him to the ground in a heap. The girl gasped, horrified by what she had done, when she realized that the person she had so rudely dispatched was none other than 14-year-old Jordan Lawton, her best friend. “Oh, my god, Jordan!”- she helps him up- “... I am so sorry,” she said apologetically. “Nah, it’s my fault,”  Jordan said as he brushed the dirt from his short hair and clothes, and rubbed his now sore back. “Should’ve known better than to try to sneak up on you; I didn’t know you took karate or self-defense classes.”

“Actually, I practiced mixed martial arts. I was one of Sensei Han’s top students.”

Jordan was impressed -- Han’s Academy was the most respected martial arts school around. “Top students, huh? He must've given you a black belt, right?”

The girl scoffed and chuckled a little. “I wish. But no, I won't have one until next year.”

“Right. Anyway…,”- Jordan slowly pulled a video game out of his backpack- “... guess what I got,” he said with pride.

Ryan gasped at the sight of the game and grabbed it out of his hand. “Bounty Huntsmen: Blood Rage? It came out today?” she asked, looking at him.

“Duh! I told you already, like a week ago,” Jordan reminded her.

Ryan responded with confusion-- “Really?”

“Uh, yeah,” Jordan assured.

“Ohhh. How did I miss that?” she pondered with a shrug. “Hmm, must’ve been too busy pumping iron,” she said as she flexed her muscles.

“So, are you gonna play it today?” the girl asked with barely contained excitement. Jordan scoffed and let out a tiny chuckle. “No, Ryan, I’m gonna fly over to the North Pole and give it to Santa Claus,” he sarcastically said. “Of course, I’m gonna play it! Do you know how long I’ve waited for this game while begging the crap out of my dad to get it for me?” Ryan chuckled. “Bet your Pop told you that if you wanted it, you needed to get a job,” she said. Jordan laughed out loud, knowing Ryan was right. “He did… but then, he got it for me,” he awkwardly confirmed. Just then, a middle-aged, balding man walked out of the school, suitcase in hand, on his way to his car. “You kids enjoy your summer," he said, walking past the two teens. "You too, Coach Martin," Ryan answered. The coach reached his beige minivan, got in, and sped off. Suddenly, a handsome 15-year-old boy with sandy brown hair and a prominent cleft chin walks up to Ryan and Jordan, along with his friends. “Hey, Clark,” the boy playfully greeted Ryan by calling her by her last name. “Oh, hey, Gary. What’s up?” was her casual response. 

“Just wanna congratulate you on the game last week,” said Gary with a charming smile.

With a barely contained grin, Ryan responded to the flattery. “Pfft, it was nothing.”

“Bull. You scored like five touchdowns, and the way you tackled that giant kid? Awesome! Although, I think you broke his arm. Or his leg... or his pelvis.”