Chapter 7: The Visitor

Ryan dashed down the hallway to see if Freya was alright. She entered the living room and gasped in surprise; her aunt was unharmed and was on the couch drinking tea with a young woman, who sat gracefully with her legs crossed and smiling at her, showing her bright white teeth. “Evie?” Ryan said in utter shock. Evie put her cup of tea down, got up, and walked over to her as they hugged affectionately. “How’s my favorite little cousin?” Evie asked in a thick British accent. “I’m your only cousin,” Ryan said, beaming, and the two shared a brief laugh. “So, what brings you here?” asked Ryan. The beautiful woman gave her a raised eyebrow and a look as if the answer was self-evident. “Is it wrong that I want to see my wonderful family?” she asked. “Besides…,”-Evie looked over at Freya- “... I missed my dear mother,”- Freya’s heart was touched as her daughter looked back at Ryan- “I wanted to wake you, but you seemed to be exhausted and in a deep sleep. So, now that I’m here, I’m thinking about a trip to the spa and then the mall--just the two of us.” 

“Seriously?”

“Yes, seriously. Unless you want to go to the Cassandra concert,” Evie suggested.

This surprises Ryan. “You got tickets? How?”

“I might’ve borrowed my father’s credit card the day they went on sale. So, what’s it going to be, dear cousin? The spa or the concert?”

Ryan was too excited at the prospect of either to choose. “I don’t know. Both sound nice.”

“Worry not. We will do both,”- Evie turned to her mother- “Care to join us, mum?”

“Oh, no, thank you. I don’t want to intrude,” Freya courteously declined. 

“Oh, come now, mum. I can’t seem to recall the last time the three of us spent time together. Please?” Evie said as she and Ryan begged Freya to join with puppy dog looks on their faces. Freya finally gave in as she rolled her eyes and smiled. "Alright, alright," she said, as the girls squealed in excitement. The trio then heard someone knocking on the door, and Ryan went to answer it. The visitor was none other than Jordan. "Hey, Ryan. Dad's taking us go-kart racing. Wanna come?" he offered her. "Wish I could, but I got plans with Evie," Ryan countered. The boy perked up at the mention of that name, but he maintained his cool. "Evie? She’s here?" he asked. "Yeah, you wanna see her right quick?" said Ryan. Jordan nodded his head and the girl ushered him into the living room. Jordan's jaw dropped when he saw Evie. "Hello, Jordan. Nice to see you," Freya welcomed, as Jordan waved at her without making eye contact. He was too mesmerized by Evie's beauty, staring deep into her enchanting, light brown eyes. To him and any other man, she has the appearance of a goddess with her flawless, light tan complexion and her long, raven hair that shined like the sun. “Jordan? Are you okay?” Ryan asked, in a teasing tone.

“Yes, Jordan,”- Evie walked closer to him with a playful, flirty smile- “Are you okay?” she asked as she batted her eyes. The boy was as mute as a fish, entranced until he fainted like a sitcom character. “It’s weird that everyone faints when they look at me,” Evie said vainly. “Gee, I wonder why?” Ryan sarcastically asked, as she picked Jordan up and carried him on her shoulder. “I’m gonna get him home. I’ll be back.” Ryan walked out of the house with her unconscious friend.

A while later, at the Emerald Spa & Parlor, Evie and Ryan were getting their pedicures and manicures, enjoying their relaxation as two employees massaged their necks. Freya reveled in a tranquil mud bath while she read a romantic novel on her phone and ate peanuts. Evie turned to her cousin and smiled, noticing the joy on Ryan’s face from being pampered. Looking down at her right wrist, Evie spotted a silver bracelet with moon, sun, and star charms. Evie remembered that her aunt Marilyn had given it to Ryan on her 8th birthday, and the memory filled her with sorrow as she recalled how devastated she was when her mother called and informed her of Marilyn’s death. “I miss her,” she said softly. Ryan looked at her. “What’d you say?” the girl asked. “Your mother. I miss her,” Evie repeated. “I bloody wish it was him buried in the ground and not her.”