Chapter 13: Forgiveness

The next morning, Evie was packing her things as she prepared to return to England, still grieving over her beloved boyfriend. She felt as though she would be nothing without him, but knew that she had to remain strong not just for herself, but for Ryan too. While packing, she spotted a scrapbook under her folded clothes and looked inside. It contained photos of her and Kameron during his trip to London two years prior. This put a smile on her face and filled her with joy, as she turned through page after page of images of their romantic moments. But there was one picture in particular that really made her day; a portrait sketch of her surrounded by roses. It was the greatest gift Kam had ever given Evie, and she always appreciated the artistry and detail of the drawing and how much soul he had put into it. She kept it as a reminder of their abiding love.

Just then, Ryan knocked on the already opened door of the bedroom, snapping her cousin out of her daydream. "What are you doing?" she asked. "Just reminiscing,"- Evie closed the book with slight sadness as she sighed- "Things will not be the same without him," she said. Ryan felt her pain and entered the room to sit next to Evie and comfort her. "So, what did you and Kam do last night?" she inquired, which made Evie smile. "Ha! We ate at that new restaurant that he'd always wanted to go to, though I forget the name of it. He didn't eat much of his dinner, not having an actual appetite, you know," Evie replied. Ryan recalled the restaurant she spoke of. "You mean Casa Carlotta? Ugh, that place is expensive. How did you pay for your food?" she wondered.

"Actually, everyone left."

Now Ryan was confused. "Was it closed?" she asked.

"No, it was still open. But all the diners were frightened at the sight of a dead man walking--literally, and an infamous thief."

"Pfft, I don't blame them. I'd be running too if I see someone with zombie skin and a bullet hole in their forehead. So, what happened next?" Ryan became more intrigued.

"After we ate, we went ballroom dancing and hung out at the Silver Hawk," Suddenly, Evie's smile faded away and was replaced with a sorrowful face. "Then we kissed one last time, and he disappeared."

The lovely woman didn't need to explain, Ryan knew what she meant by him 'disappearing' as she gazed upon her with sympathy. "I'm so sorry, Evie. Couldn't be easy to say goodbye," she said, offering her condolences. Her older cousin didn't speak but looked away. She wanted to cry; to just let all of her pain and sadness out, but she held back her tears. After taking a deep breath, she finally responded. "Well, at least I got to spend a few precious moments with him," Evie said, smiling at her cousin. Though she was glad, guilt still took a toll on Evie. She felt that she owed her family for her deception, despite that Ryan and Freya had forgiven her. "Ryan, about the night that I didn't tell you who I was, I... I, mean...," Evie tried to apologize. "Evie, it's okay. Your dad took away your childhood. I understand," Ryan sympathized. "You think you understand, but you do not," Evie rebuffed. "Living with him... It was hell. Being with Kameron made me realize that I can't be controlled by fear. That's why I quit the Cobalt Knights, and I didn't care if my father disapproved."

"If Kameron was here, he would be proud. Like I am," Ryan said.

Evie smiled at the admiration. "Yeah, well,"- she looked at her little cousin- "Maybe it's time I do something better with my life. Besides, if Aunt Marilyn could see you now; a high school football player and a superhero. She would've been proud of you too," Evie replied and the two hugged.

"I could go with you. If ya need help" Ryan offered.

"Your place is here. You need to focus on finding the scoundrel who is giving that ghastly drug to children," Evie firmly declined.

"Okay."

"Also, I want to thank you. For reuniting me with my beloved," Evie added.

"You're welcome," Ryan replied.