Chapter 8: Evie's Heist

Elsewhere in the city, a nightclub called the Silver Hawk was packed with partygoers. Evie pulled up to the club in a sparkling pink sports car, opened the door, and stepped out wearing a tight magenta dress that faded to white with a spiral at the bottom that matched her dark pink, open-toed pumps, and gothic magenta make-up. She made her way inside as male patrons whistled at and catcalled her. The shiny walls of the club were a metallic orange, and neon lamp fixtures cast a hazy, ethereal glow over the entire room. The air in the building pulsed heavily with techno music as Evie slowly made her way toward its source. Upon reaching the lowest level of the club, she saw the dance floor covered with people dancing to the hypnotic beats that vibrated from the ceiling-high speakers at the far end of the room. Evie headed to the bar where several patrons were enjoying their drinks and took a seat; a moment later, a bartender approached her while cleaning a shot glass. "What can I get ya?" he asked in a friendly tone. “Sparkling water, please" Evie ordered.

       The bartender fixed her ice-cold drink and handed it to her. "There ya go."

       "Thank you," Evie said, taking a sip.

       "I've never seen ya around here. Are ya new in town?" the bartender wondered while cleaning more glasses.

       Evie dryly chuckled a little. "Not new, just passing through,"- she looked down at her silver necklace with a blue sapphire infinity symbol with a saddened gaze- "I'm… I'm looking for my boyfriend. I have not heard from him for months,”- she sighed- “I don't know where he is."

        "He means a lot to you, does he?"

        "Yes,"- she blushed as she continued to stare at her necklace- "He gave me this on our second date, a symbol of the love we shared. I’m afraid that something has happened to him."

        The bartender was sympathetic to her and could tell that her boyfriend was special to her. "Hmm. Well, I hope you find him," the bartender encouraged her and left her be.

Evie was determined to find him, so she asked around the club to see if anyone had seen him, but no one had. She remained hopeful and could feel his presence in Salemville. Just then, a handsome man wearing an expensive white suit noticed her from afar and instantly became smitten with her. Hoping to connect with her, the man got up from his booth and walked over to her while passing through the crowd and sipping his martini. “Why so lonely, hot stuff?” he asked while smiling flirtatiously and speaking in a southern accent. Evie turned to him with a blank-faced expression, not amused by his piggish approach. “Do you always greet women like this?” she firmly questioned. “Not all the time. Let’s just say that I have a way with them when I see them alone. Speaking of loneliness…,”- he caressed her left arm with the back of his hand- “... how’s about you and I get on out of here, so you can show me how classy you are,” the man tried to entice her but failed.

Evie snatched her arm away. “I have a boyfriend,” she retorted as she took another sip of her drink.

“Well, I don’t see him anywhere,”- the man pressed closer to her- “Besides, he wouldn’t mind if we spent a little time together, would he?”

Still unamused, Evie shoved him away. Her loyalty to her boyfriend was too strong for any man to break. “My answer is no.”

“C’mon, darling. Don’t ya wanna get a taste of Josh? I mean, I AM the owner of this here club,” the man replied.

It didn’t take long for Evie to answer as she looked at him in disbelief. “Aw, I doubt that,” she answered coldly and quickly. 

The young woman turned away for a moment when her phone buzzed and, while she wasn’t looking, Josh discreetly spiked her drink. Evie glanced at her phone, then puts it back in her purse, still annoyed by Josh’s persistent presence. She picked up her drink to take a sip but paused for a moment, then a seductive smile formed on her face as she turned to him. “You know what? You’re right…,”- she sat her drink down on the bar - “I don’t know what I was thinking? I mean, how could I resist those big blue eyes,” she flirted, exciting the man as she caressed the side of his face. “Let’s go to the back, for a little…,”- she whispers in his ear- “... fun time.” Josh finished his martini and Evie dragged him to the back of the club where the restrooms were. “Do we have to do this here? I know a great hotel and-.” Evie cut him off mid-sentence. She removed her finger from his lips and began to kiss him passionately as Josh embraced her, and they made out for a solid minute and a half. Pausing for a moment, the rich man savored the affection and wanted more. “Hmm! Have mercy. Now, about that hotel? The offer still stands,” Josh said. “What’s wrong with doing it here?” Evie asked, in a seductive baby voice.