8; Tale of Bo'sun

8; Tale of Bo'sun

Felicity could feel the seas become rough underneath her feet as she returned to the quarters that she shared with Elizabeth

Felicity could feel the seas become rough underneath her feet as she returned to the quarters that she shared with Elizabeth. As she swung open the door to the small room, she found the young girl curled up in the corner with a blanket wrapped around her shoulders to ward off the cold. Felicity crossed the room, grabbing a candlestick in the process, before settling down in front of her friend, unsure of how to proceed.

"Elizabeth." She called gently.

Elizabeth glanced up, allowing Felicity to see the fear in her eyes as she shook violently underneath the heavy quilt. The fear in her eyes was reflected in the way Felicity moved, her hand shaking as she grasped the young girls. Her dark orbs tried to reassure her, but both girls knew that it was a lie that neither of them could believe at the moment.

Felicity scooted closer and pulled Elizabeth's head to lean against her collar bone, rubbing her shoulders to give off heat. The scene reminded Felicity of one of the few memories she had of her time in England, before the family had moved to Port Royal. In the time she had been in the Caribbean she had come to be thankful that their cold was nothing compared to the dead of winter in England.

One of the worst winters the country had seen in years, Elizabeth would come bounding into the red-heads room with a book in the crook of her arm. Like clockwork, Felicity would be stoking the fire as she pulled her night shawl closer about her shoulder, getting ready to settle for the night. The warm hues of the embers turned her red hair even more crimson as she moved to sit on the floor, holding out an arm for the book in Elizabeth's possession.

"What have you brought this time?" Felicity asked.

Elizabeth smiled in glee as she watched the fire grow and dance, "I brought the story about Psyche and Eros that you mentioned last time."

"The love story?" She asked as she opened the book to the correct page. "Are you sure?"

"I am."

She remembered the night as clearly as she could see Elizabeth now. How they had settled in for the night, reading the story of Eros and his beloved Psyche. From the jealousy of Aphrodite to the winged sea serpent. The tale had continued well into the night until Elizabeth had fallen asleep, her head resting lightly against Felicity's shoulder.