Chapter I

It was the first day of August, year 1430 Anno Domini. The Eastern Roman Empire had been expanding their territory on Africa and the Middle East, while the Caesar's eyes were also looking at the Eternal City, Rome. It is a long story of how such a decadent empire managed to survive and become powerful over the decades, centuries...

After Justinian's death in 565 Anno Domini, a new dynasty took over the Empire, the Kouneres. They were from Thessalonica. Their successful monarchs and campaigns on the former Roman territory made themselves a notable power in Europe, though nothing lasts forever, as they began losing much of their territory in the West. They did not lose all hope, though. They knew it was still possible for the Purple Phoenix to rise once again and begin to conquer the lost territories.

Despite the Islamic world began to rise against the remnant of East Rome, they managed to hold them and eventually defeat them. A couple successful campaigns led by capable generals and with help from the Crown were enough to defeat the Seljuk Empire. That was a great achievement as it made East Rome stronger due to the acquisitions they had from the Seljuks. They later had been focusing on warring against the Fatimid Caliphate. They were lucky that their Christian brothers lent a helping hand to them. Not only that, but they had seized a considerable amount of land from them, even Jerusalem.

East Rome had risen up to becoming a great power in the Old World, though they would stay like that, not expanding even an inch, for many years. It is unsure why the Eastern Roman emperors decided so. Some say it was to prevent over-expanding, while others say it was something else; it is uncertain.

East Rome had yet to keep conquering more land; cities like Rome, Ravenna, Milan, etc. There was a period that lasted from 1032 to 1229 where they had taken over the ancient capital of the Roman Empire, though they later lost it.

The sons of the Roman Empire could not keep the situation like this anymore, though they could not do much against the Holy See, which occupied Rome. A war would be too risky at that time, as there were still many Catholic nations in Europe. Hopefully, all of that changed after the XIV century, when Akhens had seized a great part of France and Britannia. The Iberian nations, Hispania and Aragon were also busy fighting Andalusia and Morocco, so they could not come to aid. Only the Lombards, Austria and Hungary could help the Holy See if needed. A war, though, was not in the Imperator's mind; at least not for now.

It was then when Andronikos, Governor of Naples, had begun to look at Rome, at the Pope. He thought that this situation had to end soon so the glory of the Roman Empire could be fully restored. He was looking at a map, a map of the Known World.

"Look, Akhens is growing bigger and bigger yet us, the descendants of Rome, we cannot restore our glory." He said, somewhat annoyed at the Tsar of Akhens.

At that, his advisor Hassan said, "My liege, East Rome will certainly not stay behind; we must just be patient and wait for Arcadius Caesar to dictate the order we all expect, which is war."

"He must have declared war on the Holy See before, when the catholic nations were busy fighting Morocco. It is ironic that people call me Rex Italiae if I do not even have whole province of Italia under my control..." Andronikos said as he took a knife and nailed it on the table, on the map, right where Rome was.

"My lord, I think you should wait for the Caesar to do anything. It would be risky to do anything and defy him. Despite your popularity, the masses and even the army acclaim the Imperator as a successful leader and restorer of some former Glory of Rome. There is no way to avoid punishment from him, and your influence will not do much, anyway."

"You are right, Hassan. I should better don't do anything... in public." He grinned then continued, "Though what I can do is work on the shadows, secretly moving the things in our behalf."

"How will you do so, my liege?"

"You'll see soon." He turned around, then added, "I must go and keep doing my work."

"All right, I will be practicing war with the Legatus Aleksios." Hassan said as he respectfully bowed towards his lord then walked away. Andronikos walked, then, to his office.

It still remains unknown whether it will be the decision of the Caesar, will he declare a war? Will he use diplomacy? Most things aim to a possible war, as he is a monarch who focuses on military affairs; in fact, he has led several armies throughout the campaigns in Africa. Time will say.