Chapter Seventeen

My eyes fluttered open and I took a moment to take in my surroundings. I was on my couch, wrapped in a blanket, the smell of food filled the air. It smelled like heaven.

I sat up and rubbed my eyes. I must have fallen asleep. Noah emerges from the kitchen with plates of food.

"Oh, good. You're awake."

He placed the plates down in front of us and sat down next to me. His arm wrapped around me and he placed a tender kiss on my temple.

"How are you feeling, baby?" His voice was soft and peaceful.

"Better now, thanks to you." I looked up at him through my lashes and leaned in to kiss him.

He reciprocated the kiss then pulled away. He tucked a stray hair behind my ear and placed a tender kiss on my forehead before reaching for the food.

"Here baby. You need to eat."

He gave me a plate and I stared at it, hungrily. He had made chicken breasts, mashed potatoes and gravy, and green beans. It looked like something out of a food magazine and I didn't hesitate to dive in. The chicken melted in your mouth and was oozing with flavor. I shoveled into my mouth by the forkful. Noah was beside me laughing.

"Shut up. It's good," I said with a mouthful of food.

"I just think you're fucking adorable."

I felt my cheeks turn red as Noah started eating. Having him here with me made everything seem so much better.

After Noah cleaned up dinner, he came and sat back on the couch next to me.

"I'm sorry, Noah. I know that tonight probably didn't go according to your plans."

"Actually, tonight went exactly according to plan. I planned on showing up, having dinner with my girl, and spoiling her. Check, check, and check."

I giggled at his response. Of course, he always knows exactly what to say.

"Seriously though, I'm really sorry about my mother. She can be a bit much and I never meant for her to meet you like this."

"Abigail, you have no reason to apologize. Everyone's family is a little fucked up. There is no need to apologize for that. I understand, believe me."

"How are you so perfect?" He beamed at me.

"Can I ask you one question though?"

"Of course." I took a deep breath to prepare myself for his inquiry.

"What happened with your ex and your sister?"

Shit. I was not expecting that.

"Jesus, where do I begin? When I went to law school, I moved in with my sister because she lived right by the school. For the first couple of years, it was going great. But, I got into a relationship with one of my teacher's assistants. It was completely against the rules for him to date a student but we didn't care. We dated for almost a year. Things were going really well. After graduation, he planned to move in here with me and we would start our lives together. But the day before my graduation, I walked in on him and my sister fucking in the living room. I sort of lost it. I sent in an anonymous tip to the university saying that he was having inappropriate relations with a student. He was fired and I wasn't able to walk at my graduation. I left immediately and moved here. And I haven't spoken to my sister since."

Noah stood there in silence for a moment. My heart was pounding in my chest waiting for his response.

"Well, I see my girl has a type." He says sarcastically and I couldn't help but start laughing.