Seven | Her

This chapter contains mentions of self-harm. Please do not read if you are uncomfortable.
________

Something wasn't right.

Veralee couldn't figure out what it was, but something felt different- not the good kind of different. It was a feeling of difference that made her feel sick and nervous all at the same time, tormenting her brain until it became the reason she was lying awake in her bed, staring at the ceiling.

She could wake Ella up and talk to her about it, but something told her not to bother her friend about this.

Trying to be as quiet as possible, Vera pushed the blankets off of her body and moved to sit on the side of her bed. She was freezing despite being dressed in a pair of sweatpants and a sweater. Nonetheless, she stood up and soundlessly made her way across the room, and she was even quieter when she opened the door and slipped into the hallway.

She could've gone anywhere to calm her nerves. Maybe sneak out and walk the grounds, sit beside the barely lit fire in the common room- she could even sit by a window and read a book... something she hadn't had time to do lately.

There were so many possibilities, yet she still found herself taking a few short steps across the hall and reaching to knock on Draco Malfoy's door.

The moment her fist softly tapped on the door, the muffled noise of something falling startled her. A bit more shuffling around was heard, making her think that this was a bad idea, but the door was quickly opened to reveal an exhausted-looking Draco.

"Oh. It's you," The blond boy didn't open the door very wide and only showed half of his body as one of his hands held onto the doorframe.

She wanted to reply with a snappy comment at how he greeted her, but she had other things on her mind that were more important. "I- I can't sleep and-"

"Now isn't a good time, Blackwell." He was fast to interrupt her.

Vera froze. For the first time since he'd opened the door, she took in his appearance. His eyes looked tired and held dark circles beside them. His skin seemed extremely pale, rather than his usual, fair complexion. Despite it being extremely late in the evening, he was still in his school uniform, all except for his tie and robe.

"I know- I'm sorry, but," Her voice was shaking even though she was trying her best to keep a calm composure. "-something's not right. I-I don't know what it is and I-"

"Just... come in," Draco interrupted her and ended his sentence with a long sigh, stepping back and opening the door a little further.

She was confused at his sudden change of plans. First, it wasn't a good time for him to talk, then suddenly it was fine? Ignoring it, she entered his room slowly, wrapping her arms around her own body to stay warm. "Is Blaise not here?"

"Nope... he said something about... quidditch and left," Draco sat back down on his bed as Vera stood awkwardly by the door. "So... what's wrong?"

She noticed how Draco's voice was hoarse and low- along with the fact that his hands were slightly shaking, yet she ignored it once again. She took a few short breaths before responding. "I... don't know."

He raised an eyebrow and shifted closer to the edge of his bed. "You don't know?"

"It's like-" She searched her brain for any easy ways to describe how she was feeling but found nothing. It was like waking up from a fantastic dream, only to find that you can't remember anything about it... only in Vera's case, it was a nightmare. "It's like something's been bothering me... all week... I just don't know what it is- Malfoy?"