Three | Amortentia

"-You're lucky I didn't make Blaise and Theo drag your arse out of bed this morning..." Eloise Lowell gave a roll of her eyes and pulled her school books closer to her chest.

Veralee followed beside her as they made their way to the great hall for breakfast. "Yeah, well normal people don't wake up at six in the fucking morning-"

"I just didn't want us to be late on the first day. You can thank me when you pass your exams and live a successful life with a wonderful job."

Vera rolled her eyes at her friend's response.

The girls turned the corner, entering the great hall where the majority of students were already seated. "It's not like we're early, Vera," Eloise nodded toward the far side of the room, to the table where their group had sat for just about every meal since first year. Their other friends were already sitting in their usual spots.

They approached their house table, doing their best to ignore the lingering stares from the tables around them. While they got hate as Slytherins, their last names were enough to gain them a few extra glares or insults every now and then.

"Good morning," Ella greeted the others as she sat down, grabbing Veralee by the arm and pulling her to sit beside her.

Blaise was seated across from Eloise, and Malfoy was across from Vera, leaving Theo in the seat next to her.

No one seemed too cheery other than Ella. Blaise gave a small nod when he saw them, but Malfoy was too busy sulking in his own thoughts to pay the girls any attention. Even Theo was zoned out as he stared at his plate, poking a piece of toast with his finger.

Veralee took the distracting moment to glance down at the opposite end of the table, spotting her sister seated with none other than Pansy Parkinson.

Colette did tend to get on Vera's nerves- even though she was her sister, but she never really had a problem with Pansy.

Aside from an incident in fourth year when Graham Montague, the Slytherin quidditch team's captain, asked Vera to be his date to the Yule ball.

Unknown to Vera, Pansy had been talking to the boy months in advance, hoping that he would ask her. It was like a kick to the throat when he asked her best friend's younger sister to go instead.

In retaliation, Parkinson took a liking to Draco, somewhat hoping that it would upset Vera, but the girl was still unbothered- until what was supposed to be a Yule Ball date blossomed into some weird obsession Pansy had with Draco.

Malfoy was completely aware that Parkinson's presence in group activities annoyed his friends- especially Vera, but he included her anyway- as if he intended to do it on purpose.

Little did she know, Malfoy felt the same annoyance when Vera began dating Montague. Even though it wasn't his place to judge, Veralee dating one of his close friends didn't sit right with him.

Both of those relationships came to an end only a few months ago, at the end of fifth year. Vera broke up with Montague, and Draco ended whatever "relationship" he had with Pansy.

"-Didn't even bother to wait up for us, did you?" Eloise spoke as she grabbed a piece of toast from one of the breakfast platters and dropped it onto her plate. Vera did the same, but she grabbed several sliced strawberries and piled them onto her plate as well.