Chapter 8: An open chance to kill me.

Adhira:

Pain.

I felt a strong impulse to scream out in agony. The loss... The connection... To lose the only world that I had known all my life felt as if the strings of my heart were pulled out painfully and set on fire. It hurt even to exist.

I hadn't even begun to feel sore yet. The pain was hot and searing through my veins. I was writhing on the ground, awake and curled up all alone. Unable to fall back asleep on the reality, I felt the madness.

Vengeance and anger took over my mind. I wanted to hurt someone or something. I twisted and placed my hand on the ground to lift myself. It was hard to know what kept my pieces together when I was so close to breaking apart like shards of glass. Too much heat can damage a container.

One step after another, the gravel crunching under my slippers. Soon, I could feel that smooth tower's stone under my feet.

"HEY!" I yelled, my voice echoing across the deserted hills. It seemed as if I were the only one left... At this point, I couldn't care less.

"Come at me, you wretched panther!" My threat echoed across the hills. Almost instantly, I felt her domineering presence behind me. My heart raced at the overwhelming emotions that churned inside me.

My eyes found her and I uttered, "I'm going to kill you. I'm going to kill you for taking away everything from me." Those were irrational words that I threw at her with neither a weapon in my hand nor the vigor to take her on. But I just didn't care about the outcome.

Something in her eyes lit up. Was she taking my pathetic self as a challenge? I tried so hard to protect the ones I loved. I tried so hard but all of it was in vain? What was the point of this?

She closed the distance between us with a smirk, "And what are you going to do I wonder?" I was trembling beneath the shield of my visible rage. I was scared shitless and my breathing labored. She drew an extended claw across my cheek as I froze to not make any sudden movements. That claw could split my cheek open.

She dropped her hands and stepped away, "Alright, I'll give you a chance to attack. An open chance to kill me. I'll not even stop you. Go ahead, I'll wait." She leaned against the stone with her arms on her sides casually watching me.

I took a moment to figure out what would be a killing move. I had no blade, no claws but I do have some blunt teeth. So, I recklessly took that opportunity to throw myself at her and sink my teeth into the side of her neck. I bit down to feel the metallic taste of blood fill my mouth. I felt disgusted and pulled away instantly which turned out to be a mistake. The wound on her neck quickly closed up and I was left wondering how humans always thought they were at the top of the food chain.

I glanced at her eyes which held a notorious gaze and realized that my chance was over. So much for survival in the wild. She grabbed my arm and harshly pushed me chest-first against the stone support. I gasped as the air from my lungs was knocked out.

"You've got really blunt teeth. Do you want to know what a marking truly feels like? Some species do it. Would you like for me to do it?" She asked me holding my arm against my back to keep me locked. My mind was hazy and I just needed a nap to process my grief. "What's your answer?" She asked me.

"What?" I asked her as my nose crinkled as I tried not to cry.

"Do you want me to mark you?" She asked me as she nestled her nose against the side of my throat.

I gulped as I wondered if she was really giving me a choice or if she is just playing a game with me. My voice trembled, "Please kill me."

"You want to leave so quickly? But, we have several hours to go. We can do anything that we want to," she sounded almost cynical.