CHAPTER ONE

It was the last day of elementary school. I was sitting on the chair of my desk near my best friends, Julie and Carla. We were all staring at the clock, waiting for it to hit three thirty. The teacher was explaining the homework for the holidays, but I was too busy thinking about the tests I had to do during the holidays to get in to the colleges I wanted to go to, to pay attention. Suddenly I heard my name:
" Rebecca Simon, are you paying attention to what I'm saying?"
Miss Clat was really mad, you could see that she couldn't wait for the bell to ring.
" Are you listening? " she yelled. I was still thinking about the tests and I didn't know what to answer. I was praying for the bell to ring, I closed my eyes and suddenly it rang.
"Saved by the bell!" I thought. I packed my bag and walked home.
After school finished I spent a week at the beach in Hilltown with my family. I swam a lot and caught some fish. When I came back from the beach I had to study a lot, I was going to do twelve different tests to try and get into twelve different schools. Then I will decide which one to go to. Two weeks passed and the first test was coming. I had to go to the first school, The Academy of Spring. When I sat on the desk I had butterflies in my stomach. This was a beautiful school, it had lots of pool. It wasn't very big but all the rooms and the buildings were fantastic. When they handed me the test I turned the paper over and started answering the questions. I knew most of the answers. When the time was up I had answered all the questions. The last test was over and I had to wait until August to have the results of the tests.
The days passed and I was more and more anxious. During these days I spent all my time with my friends. We went to the park, we rode bicycles, we went to the beach and to the cinema. When the first day of August came I was very excited. When I woke up I ran to the door but unfortunately no letter arrived. Five days passed and during breakfast the doorbell rang. I ran to the door. There was a man holding a letter with my name written on. I thanked the man and took the letter. The letter said:
Academy of Spring: Not accepted
Academy Master Minds: Not accepted
Academy Sea-folks: Accepted
Academy of Bug-light: Accepted
College of intelligence: Accepted
College of High Town: Not Accepted
College Middle Day: Accepted
College DDB: Accepted
Academy of Circle: Not Accepted
College Madib: Accepted
College Laugh: Accepted
Academy of Baza: Accepted

I was very happy because I was accepted in eight schools. But I was sad because I wasn't accepted in the Academy of Spring. I started crying but my friends Julie and Carla phoned me and we decided to see each other at the bar.
When we arrived I told them the result of my tests and they told me their results of the test. Julie was going to the Academy of Baza and Carla was going to the college Madib. They asked me to go with them but if I went with Julie Carla would be sad and if I went with Carla Julie would be sad. I wanted to go to the Academy Sea-folks but mum didn't want to let me sleep on my own for all the year. Because in that academy you have to sleep all the week there and if you want during the weekend you could visit your family.
I really wanted to go to the academy so I managed to convince my mum and my dad. To convince them I had to promise that every week I would write to them at least once. I even had to promise that at least once a month during the weekend I had to visit them. This was a good compromise.