Chapter Four: Lethal Weaponry

Chapter Four

They remained stationary for about a minute as the princess tried to get her breath back. It appeared even her superior Nekross strength was no match for the Fijian Archipelago!

Tom tried to wriggle free but this made her grasp him even more firmly.

"You are foolish to think you can escape, wizard half-form!" Tom thrashed harder, pulling Lexi along with him. "The Nekross shall feast on your delicious magic!" Lexi was struggling to hold onto him. Tom fought aggressively to free himself, and accidentally whacked her in the face with one of his flippers. "OH!" She abruptly let go of him.

Tom propelled himself away from her as fast as he could. He had made it over several beds of coral before he suddenly visualized her clutching her face in agony.

What?! He couldn't go back to see whether she was OK! She would beam him back to the Zarantulus! He had to keep swimming...

Tom paused. Who was he kidding?

He swam back to where he had left Lexi. She was seated on a sandy bed, her hand pressed to the right side of her jaw and her face stricken with pain.

"Are you all right, Lexi?" he asked.

The princess didn't reply. Tom noticed a faint hue of red dissolving around her fingers. He swam up toward her, and eased away her hand. He winced as he saw a terrible gash on her chin.

"Whoa!"

How had that happened?

He eyed his flippers disconcertedly, wondering what could have turned them into lethal weapons, and lifted his leg up to inspect the blade...which was a more than accurate description of it. How the manufacturers had got away with making it so sharp he had no idea!

The flippers were the cheap variety that could be bought in a seaside shop, which possibly explained the flaw in design. Tom had only wanted them for messing about on the beach. He hadn't intended for them to be involved in mortal combat!

"Now you discover that Nekross skin is not always tough enough to withstand any blow," said the princess, "How does it feel to draw my blood for the first time, Tom Clarke?"

"Look, I'm sorry, Lexi! I didn't exactly mean to hit you in the face!"

"There is no need to apologise. It is only a wound - a wound that will heal with time, as with all other injuries." Without warning, she grabbed Tom's arm. "It is almost a shame that I will not repay your kindness. Say goodbye to earth, Tom Clarke."

"You are making a big mistake, Lexi."

"My actions are not negotiable. My people are hungry, and I must bring them food."

It was then Tom became aware of small voices whispering in the back of his mind.

"Lexi...can you hear that?"

"I am not in the mood to play games-" Suddenly, her tentacles started squirming. She could hear it too. "What...is this noise?"

"The thoughts of other divers. They must be coming toward us. Hide yourself, Lexi!"

The princess held her head. "How can I hear them?" She swam behind a boulder.

"I don't know," hissed Thomas, "Angelica said that underwater we communicate by thoughts...I suppose that makes sense if you're a mermaid."

That didn't answer his question. It seemed Lexi, and also Varg if he remembered correctly, also could read his mind. Was this something to do with the fact they ate magic?