Chapter Five: Back To The Drawing Board

Chapter Five

Suddenly, Tom found himself in the Chamber of Crowe.

He was about to ask Angelica what spell she had performed when he realised that actually he couldn't breathe.

"Oh dear," whispered Ursula, who had just spotted him, "This is always the hardest bit..."

She rushed out from behind the potion table and gave him a mighty thump on the back. Tom spewed a stream of water all over the Chamber floor. Randal Moon grimaced, knowing he would be the one to mop it up later...

...

Dad and Benny were sat in the lounge area, and had made the most of the time Tom was busy on his deep sea mission conversing about important matters such as schoolwork and career opportunities. Benny loved his own dad dearly, but sometimes he was very assertive, and when he tried to chat with him about his future it was eventually Mr Sherwood who did the talking.

Michael Clarke was very easy-going and happily told him all about his progression to become a qualified vet, including how he got into university and the first time he applied for a job. He was just about to start cooking the tea when a very wet Tom Clarke trudged into the hallway.

"Oh boy..." he whispered, shaking the water from his bedraggled hair, "That was some adventure."

"What did you see down there?" asked an enthusiastic Benny, "Did you know that coral reefs are held together by calcium carbonate emitted by the corals themselves?"

"Yeah...I bet..." Tom turned to his father. "Dad? There's someone I would like you to meet."

Michael caught sight of the teenage girl stepping through the kitchen doorway, examining her surroundings engrossedly. Granny was close behind.

"Who is this?" Dad hissed, as Angelica meandered over to the lounge area.

"The young girl we rescued from the Nekross," replied Ursula, "She tried to repay us by following Thomas into the Fijian archipelago to help him find the amulet - a benevolent but foolish idea. I can only thank the Source that the pair of you made it out alive."

"You have so much space," marvelled Angelica.

"I hope this doesn't mean she'll have to stay with us until we can find some way of shipping her back to the Philippines," whispered Mr Clarke to his mother-in-law.

"Don't worry about that, Michael," responded Gran, "Moon will send her home with a passing charm when she has finished looking round the house. When that's dealt with, we will have to issue warnings to all other Netherside creatures living on the Dayside. If our glamour potion works, I'm certain they can use it as well."

The mermaid was now studying the TV set. "Wow! This is amazing! You have a television!"

Tom realised then that he had rather a lot of things to be grateful for - not just his home or his possessions or his space but his loving family and friends who were always there for him just when he needed them.

...

Varg materialised onto the transporter pad, carrying his little sister in his arms.

"Escort her to the infirmary," he ordered, placing Lexi in the arms of one of the guards.

"Did you manage to acquire the desired source of magic, my most Exquisite Excellency?" enquired Technician Jathro 15.

Varg removed his mask. "No - the wizard halfling has yet again escaped my clutches."

"How unfortunate, my Excellency!"

Varg growled. "This is an outrage! I - the Prince of Nekron - have yet again been outwitted by a mere half-form!" He snarled in disgust. "Father will not be pleased."

As he made his way out of the transporter room, a smile crept over Technician 15's face. As soon as the prince was out of sight, he leant over the console and pressed a few keys.

"Jathro to control...Jathro to control."

"What is it, Jathro?" responded a mysterious female voice.

"The princess' latest plan has turned out to be defective. Also, it appears Tom Clarke has yet again defied the cunning of Prince Varg. This may be of some assistance in our strategy."

"Indeed, Jathro. It will soon be time for us to unleash our revenge..."