Star Trek Voyager: The Mylar Cat (2nd Edition) (Chapter 6)

Janeway's mind raced with the weight of new responsibilities. Just an hour ago, Aki was a little pet cat, his needs were simple and quantifiable. Now, as a sentient humanoid being—a child, no less—her life had shifted into a whole new level of complexity

Aki stirred slightly in his sleep, comforted by the warmth of Kathryn's arm. In his dreams, memories of his time as a cat on Mylar mingled with his new experiences. The crew's voices, touches, and kindnesses all blended into a comforting sense of safety and belonging.

Aki's senses were heightened, but so were his emotions, and the bond he felt with Kathryn was the strongest of all.

He dreamed of the crew members who had petted him, spoken to him, cuddled and cared for him, feeling an ever-growing attachment to this new family.

As Kathryn observed Aki sleep, she felt an intense pang of protectiveness. This wasn't just about duty or responsibility; this was about love.
She had always been driven by her commitment to her crew, but with Aki, it was different. There was a vulnerability in him that called to a deeper part of her, a maternal instinct she hadn't fully acknowledged until now.
She vowed silently to do everything in her power to ensure his safety and happiness.

Still stroking his silky-soft hair and ears reassuringly, Kathryn thought hard about their options and how this whole situation should move forward.

She was painfully aware that she alone had brought Aki aboard and was completely responsible for him.

Before she had time to think further, the ready room door chime sounded.
"Come in."

The door slid open, and Chakotay entered in his red command uniform.

"Morning," he greeted, his tone a mix of seriousness and curiosity. "Tuvok briefed me on the situation."
As he spoke, he got his first glimpse of the Neko boy, snuggled against Kathryn's arm, peacefully asleep.
Astonishment spread across Chakotay's face as he took in the surreal sight of the big fluffy cat ears atop the boy's head.

Kathryn gave him a look that resonated with his expression, "You think you're surprised now, Chakotay? Imagine how I felt waking up to find him sleeping next to me in my bed!" She had a half smile, clearly much more relaxed about it all than she was at the time it happened.

"I can imagine that was quite a shock for you," he replied, trying not to stare too much at the unusual sight before him. "Well, he obviously feels at home here. What are your plans? Where's he going to live? Should I arrange quarters?"
He sat down, sensing the weight of the decision she faced.

"I haven't decided yet, Chakotay" Kathryn replied, sounding a little troubled, "if I'm honest, my mind is still reeling at this whole scenario, I'm not sure what to think or do. I would appreciate sounding this out with you, if you have a moment?"

"Always," he replied loyally, walking over and sitting on the sofa next to her.

They were both keeping their voices down to avoid waking Aki, as they talked.

"Officially, he's too young to have his own quarters, but he is clearly very independent, so I wouldn't be opposed to bending those rules," she mused, "but I'm not sure he'd want that. He seems almost desperate for company, hardly surprising as he's been on his own for so long. I'm not sure making him live alone in quarters on some far-slung corridor of Voyager's crew decks is going to benefit him. Conversely, his own space could maintain his sense of independence but also the freedom to choose whatever company he wants.
Another alternative might be for one of the crew, perhaps one of the crew couples, to adopt him."

Chakotay looked at her and smiled. "It seems you are avoiding the most obvious choice of all," he replied, " do I really need to spell it out for you?" He leaned in slightly, his tone gentle but firm.

"What do you mean?" Janeway frowned.

Chakotay looked down at the sleeping cat boy cuddled snugly up to Kathryn's arm, "I think he's already made his choice," he said, pointing.

"What? No... Chakotay, it wouldn't be fitting or appropriate for him to live with me, there are a hundred reasons why that wouldn't work or even be appropriate," she dismissed his suggestion out of hand.

Chakotay's grin increased, "with all due respect, I beg to differ, it would be a perfect choice, and a healthy choice, think about it," he replied, "As captain, we are all your subordinates, there are not many people on this ship you can allow yourself to get close to. I know you consider Tuvok a close friend and confidant and perhaps myself too, but we are all still bound by the protocols that dictate we maintain our professional distance."

Kathryn had always appreciated the structure it provided, and the clarity in the roles and relationships of the people around her.
"I've always been comfortable with that professional distance," she replied.

"I agree, the rules help us maintain our friendships and working relationships in a healthy way. I wouldn't want it any other way myself," agreed Chakotay, "but, we're out here alone, Kathryn, thousands of light years from home. Let me be frank, you have the loneliest job in Starfleet."

Kathryn didn't feel comfortable hearing what Chakotay was describing. She wanted to counter his suggestion and deny it was true, she even took a breath and opened her mouth to argue his point, but the words failed to materialise.
It was always the hope of finding a quicker way home, the focus on the journey and just the general busyness of her duties that had allowed her to gloss over and mostly ignore her personal life situation and not give it much thought time. But hearing Chakotay's words, she quickly realized he was right; in reality, it did feel like she had the loneliest job in Starfleet, and after so much time alone in the Delta Quadrant, it was a position she would gladly leave behind.

"As first officer, even I have the luxury of close companionships, of hanging out socially with my friends, both Starfleet and former Marquee," Chakotay continued, "but as captain, you're the only person on the ship who doesn't have that luxury, that is until now. You brought Aki aboard as a little cat, for companionship, to have something in your life that you could love and care for. As far as I'm concerned, and by the looks of it, as far as he's concerned too, that hasn't changed.
It's all very well keeping a stiff upper lip and being seen to cope with the solitary life of a captain, but you're as human as the rest of us Kathryn, you need a deeper companionship where the parameters are not dictated by Starfleet rules and duty.
You need someone to love and care for just as much as the rest of us do, but more importantly, someone who can return that love, just like what's happening here."
As he spoke he pointed to Aki, highlighting the way he was lovingly clinging onto her arm as he slept.

Janeway listened carefully to Chakotay's words. As usual, they were wise, measured, compassionate and very human.

"The whole crew recognise the loneliness of your job, nothing would make them happier than to see you have someone to care for in your life. Plus we'll all be right here with our support, you wouldn't need to shoulder this burden alone.

She looked sideways, down at the sleeping cat boy still attached firmly to her right arm and smiled slightly at the little purring sounds he was now making.
"He has a whole ship full of good people he'll be growing up around," she whispered.

"Role models to help nurture and teach him," added Chakotay, nodding. "We'll all be here for him, so you certainly wouldn't be facing the burden alone, but he still needs roots, a safe and stable place to call home, and a guardian; a parental figure in his life. Someone to look up to, to love and respect, and the most logical choice, Kathryn, is you."

Janeway pondered his words for a moment. "Burden," she repeated softly, "that's twice you've used that word. But, if I'm completely honest, Chakotay, I don't see this as a burden, not really."
She had already begun to realise that every time she was around Aki, or just saw him, something inside, her spirit, her soul, would lighten. Her energy and her mood would all experience an instant lift.

She explained her thoughts to him as best she could.

"Well, I'm no expert, but that sounds like the dictionary definition of love, to me," he beamed, "I guess it's settled then."

.