Chapter 5. Would you like sugar in your tea?

It's been a long few weeks.

Ghostbur and Dream haven't been staying in one place for too long, finding other places to stay at. They should probably find a permanent place to stay soon.

The ghost sighs as he runs a hand through the sobbing boy's hair holding him close to his chest even if the tears burn him the sheep needs someone to cling to. The night was not nice to Dream. He had a bad nightmare and made Ghostbur aware of this by screaming bloody murder.

The ghost has taken up the habit of keeping a close eye on Dream at night, finding it easier to comfort him before the nightmares get too bad. It doesn't always work though.

Ghostbur feels the sheep's grip gets tighter as his breathing quickens and gets more uneven. He lets out small chirps in an attempt to calm him down. He remembers Phil used to do that to him and his brothers when they'd have nightmares. Dream in turn lets out a small baa. He's been doing that lately, baaing in his sleep when Ghostbur comforts him. It's adorable.

Dream calms down and lets out more muffled baas. Ghostbur started to sing a lullaby when

'HELLO-'

Dream shrieks and holds Ghostbur tighter in an almost strangling hold, breathing becoming more ragged. More tears fall out burning Ghostbur's chest.

"shhhhhhh!" Shushes Ghostbur.

'oh I'm sorry... I continue to have impeccable timing' Whispers the blob.

He ignores the god instead opting to hold Dream closer and sing a soothing lullaby.

'... Is... is he okay?'

"Not my domain, not my problem" quotes Ghostbur.

'Oww, using my own words against me. I didn't know you could be so cruel Ghostbur'

He continues humming the lullaby.

'... He's sort of my brother I guess. If you squint. I remember George saying something about how looking after family is a very mortal thing to do'

"It is a very mortal thing to do"

'Soooo I thought checking up on Dream would please him'

"Simp" lightly snickers Ghostbur.

The blob tilts its head 'What's a simp?'

"Don't worry about it. Come over hear"

XD hops over to the ghost '... What do I do?'

"Hug him"

'I currently don't have arms'

The ghost keeps running a hand through the boy's hair, humming a song.

XD nervously hops on to Ghostbur's lap, nuging Dream with its head. Dream gasps and flinches away from the touch.

"Shh shh, it's okay Dream it's just XD"

XD backs away from the sheep 'I.. I think I should come back tomorrow. Don't think I'm wanted here'

"It's okay. We can talk after Dream calms down of you want"

'No no, I've got other things to do. I came here on a wim. Is there anything you need?'

Ghostbur looks around in the old grimy building they're in.

"Living in old abandoned buildings doesn't seem like a good place for a child to grow up in. If it isn't to much can you try and find us a house or some sort of permanent place to live"