Chapter Thirteen

The arrival of summer brought with it an unexpected surge of heat from the continent. The early days of June were bathed in sunlight, though Midsummer had not truly started yet. Folk could not remember a time the sun had shone so brightly over Milton. The whole country, from the sunny coast of Cornwall to the industrial town of Carlisle on the Scottish Borders, sweltered in temperatures that were most unusual for late May and June. The continent itself had been experiencing even harsher conditions, with temperatures soaring by the day; the combined situations meant that Marlborough Mills suddenly welcomed an influx of orders.

More workers were employed thanks to the sudden clamouring for cotton clothing for what was predicted to be an insufferably hot summer. By the Summer Solstice, Marlborough Mills had reemployed every man, woman and child. John could not have predicted such a miracle, yet he was thankful for it. It might not last, it might have been foolish to take them all back so quickly but for now, he needed them.

One consequence of such unexpected success was that he had hardly seen Margaret. She was busy in her own way, preparing her school room, but he was aware she had been to see him many times to find him out or busy. Word had got out amongst the workers about Margaret's venture into education and to John's (and his mother's) surprise, there was a definite spark of interest amongst the workers about the chance for their children to receive a free education.

"I knew that at least some would partake." Margaret told him one evening as they walked together on the hill above the city. It was wonderful to see so high above, watching Milton begin to settle for the night, bathed in the hazy dusk light. "But I have had thirty names put down already! I am a little overwhelmed, what if I am not up to the task? I do not know how to teach!"

John almost laughed at that. She might have thought a little more of the details before she rushed ahead to begin the school room! Margaret was a natural with children, she had a natural empathy that held her in good stead. Of course, she would need a little more skill than that to pass on any knowledge. John knew she had been visiting the local school to observe the lessons whenever she could, so he was sure she must be a little more prepared than she was making out to be.

"You'll learn. A B C seems a good place to start." John said. "Few of them will know how to read or even how to hold a pencil, you'll need to start with the basics. One of Higgins' rabble, Tom, he can read. I don't know about the rest. Most of my workers can't."

"Tom is getting better at reading every day. He read me a bible passage yesterday in the clearest voice, no stuttering at all even over the tricky parts. Though I could hardly hear over the noise his sisters were making." Margaret said with a soft laugh, stopping to look out at the view over Milton. "Gosh, I am so hot."

She sat down abruptly, not caring that it was most unladylike for one to sit on the ground. Her large skirt billowed around her as she closed her eyes against the evening sun that shone in her eyes. John looked around; there was nobody in sight. She looked beautiful as the light hit her face, and he did not want to leave. He sat beside her, draping his arm over her shoulders. She leaned into him, her hand reaching up to clasp the hand resting on her shoulder. They had had such little time together that these snatched moments of quiet intimacy had become even more precious than they had been before.

"I did not realise you went there so often." John said in surprise; truthfully, he knew little of how she passed her days.

"I have some free time in the day. I thought I would call in on them while Nicholas and Mary were at work. Six children without proper supervision can cause so much trouble, as I'm sure you can imagine."

"Yet you found them reading the bible." John said with a raised eyebrow.

Margaret looked up at him, a rather sheepish smile on her face. John felt as though he would burst with love for her then. He brushed a strand of hair that had come loose away from her eyes, relishing the way she caught his hand and pressed a quick, impulsive kiss to his knuckles. Laughing at her own distraction, she continued their conversation.