Chapter Forty Four

Spring had arrived. The sky outside was blue, a rare clear day over Milton, and Margaret had been given a bunch of daffodils by the children of the school. She had arranged them herself, placing them beside the bed that would be used for her confinement and labour. It brightened the room a little at least. Currently, the room was being inspected by a most discerning visitor.

"These curtains really are dreadful."

"I think I shall have other concerns besides the curtains, Fanny." Margaret said from her seat in the corner, watching as Fanny ran a critical hand down the heavy brown curtains. It was true that they were not the most attractive furnishings, but Margaret did not care.

This would be the room she would give birth in, where she would at last welcome the child she had longed so desperately for. All she cared about is that the birth was a simple one, and that she and her baby might recover well from the ordeal.

Her sister-in-law had paid a visit to help ready the house for Margaret's confinement. The room chosen was Fanny's old bedroom, for it was large, near the stairs and had the best view of the mill yard. John had suggested that a quieter room at the back of the house would perhaps be more suitable for her confinement and eventual labour. However, Margaret had insisted that she wanted to be able to watch life pass from the window during her confinement. The chair would be moved from the corner to by the window at the earliest opportunity.

"I'm just glad you can make use of my birthing bed. Really, it has just been gathering dust for the last two years. I shall certainly never need it again."

Fanny had been most vocal in her adamance that she would never give birth again. Margaret wondered what Mr Watson made of that. She had barely seen her brother-in-law for months; indeed, the Watsons did not seem to spend much time at all in one another's company.

"You cannot say for sure. Perhaps it would not be so terrible. Dolores has had a much easier time with her second."

Margaret had spent weeks eagerly awaiting news on her new niece or nephew, but so far there had been nothing. Dolores must have given birth weeks ago, and so much time without news was making Margaret increasingly anxious.

Fanny busied herself smoothing down the sheets on the birthing bed as she replied, her brow furrowed.

"I am happy for her; I did so get on with Dolores. She's so very beautiful, in an exotic way. However, I am not willing to take the risk. No, I am quite content with my little Louise."

"She is lovely."

It was true; Margaret was most fond of her sweet little niece. A small child with round cheeks, bright blue eyes and a wild mop of blonde curls that her mother tried constantly to tame, Louise really had brought a great deal of joy to the Thornton family.

Fanny's face glowed at the mention of her daughter.

"She is, isn't she? And so bright! Why, she is talking just non-stop. I can scarcely get a moment of peace!"

Like mother, like daughter Margaret thought, though she bit her tongue. Fanny did not seem in the mood for jokes.

Margaret winced as she rose from her chair, a sharp pain in her side causing her to stagger forwards and grasp the edge of the bed to steady herself. Fanny squealed in alarm, though Margaret waved her away with gritted teeth.

"Shall I fetch the doctor?"

The pain eased, and Margaret stood up a little straighter. Fanny watched her with panicked eyes, her mouth agape. Really, she always had to be so terribly dramatic!