Chapter 5

"Why would you do that?!"
————

I need to find a way to talk to her... I wait for her to walk over to the industrial freezer and follow her in.
"Oh you scared me!" She laughs and smiles at me. It's sad because you can tell this smile is made by pure sadness... it's like she's lying to herself about being okay...
"Are you okay?" I finally ask.
"Yes of course! Why wouldn't I be?" Y/n chuckles like nothing happened... like she was before that night...
"Y/n there's no cameras in here... please speak to me..." I sigh, walking towards her.
"There's nothing to talk about!" She says, stepping back till her back hits the wall. I block her in with my arm since the other side is piled with boxes of frozen patties.
"Yes there is!" I say back in the same volume level and she flinches. "I'm not going to hurt you..." I say, placing my hand on her cheek. Her head basically lays in my hand as I make her look up to me. Slowly I lean in and place my lips gently to hers. I feel her melt into it and I wrap my arms around her waist. She places hers on my chest and pushes me away.
"No we can't do this-" She shakes her head. "Why would you do that?" Y/n questions, staring up at me with tears running down her face.
"Y/n-" I reach out to her and I notice her tears have revealed a very bad bruise around her eye. "What happened?" I gently grab her cheek and look at it. She looks away to hide it.
"Thank you..." she mumbles.
"For what?" I question confused. "I got you hurt..."
"No if you hadn't have listened to my call... I wouldn't be here right now..." she smiles and I can see the pain in her eyes.
"Stay with me tonight.. please... we can go to the police-" she stops me.
"I've tried... he knows people... they cover for him... and he knows your address..." she sighs.
"We can go to a hotel! Stay there for a while?-" she stops me again.
"Thank you for caring... I have to clock off my shift now... talk tomorrow" she smiles and walks out the freezer, leaving me alone. I touch my lips and ball my hand into a fist, leaving and clocking off too.

I sit in the car and think about what I can do to help her... save her... I finally think of something. I dial 911 and ask for police.
"Hey I heard screams coming from my next door neighbours house and they sounded like screams of distress..." I follow Y/n and Jay home and get the address.
"Oh dear that sounds horrible. What's your address?" The person asks.
"One second I'm actually house sitting and waiting for my friend to reply and let me know." I chuckle.
"It's no problem. May I ask who's calling?"
"Sure. My name is Nathanial Greenway." I get the address finally. "The address is 38 Hemmingsway Road." I say.
"Okay we're sending a car out now, can you see them Nathaniel?" I park across the road and sigh.
"Yes. The male looks like he's dragging her in like, yanking her wrist hard... she seems to be in pain.."
"An officer will be there shortly to speak with you." My eyes widen.
"I'm actually late for work so I'm heading out right now. I won't be home to speak to anyone."
"Oh alright sir. Thank you for your time." She says and I hang up, sinking in my seat to watch from a safe distance. Without being spotted.

After a while, a car pulls up and knocks on the door. Jay appears and hugs the officer, them both heading inside. After about 10 minutes, I can hear yelling from up-stairs. I dial 911 again and place another report and they tell me they'll send another car. Another one arrives and the same thing. Once more, I do the same thing and it repeats once again.
"What the hell?" I say to myself. I sigh and wait a while, hearing strange noises from her bedroom upstairs. The officers finally walk out and I record them on my phone. I'm sure my subscribers are gonna want to see this... I zoom in on their faces and when they finally drive away, I record Jay's while he's waving goodbye to them. He walks inside and I head back to my own home, writing out a tweet.

"So someone who I know is in danger, so I called the police. The first one didn't do anything and walked in, having a good time with the guy in question. The second one I called did the same as well as the third. It seems as though the PD is useless with its "serve and protect" protocol because they aren't protecting anyone with this type of behaviour."
[video]

Replies:

"Omg that's horrible! #CancelThePD #ACAB"

"What we're they doing? They look like they're enjoying themselves! #ACAB"

After a few hours, it's trending on Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, everywhere! It even made it to the news. I get a phone call while it's on the TV and it's from Y/n.
"Hello?" I say.
"Why... why would you do this?" She replies, her voice shaking.
"Are you okay?" I ask.
"Please... come get me... I can't breathe" the call ends and basically leap out of bed and sprint to the door, grabbing my license and keys. I finally make it to the car and race to her house, seeing tonnes of officers and law enforcement, as well as a news crew.
I rush inside with the paparazzi following me, flashes of photos being taken behind me.
"Y/n!" I shout. "Are you here??"
"In here..." she strains, yelling back. I burn in the room and see bruises around her neck... but look away when I notice SHES COMPLETELY NAKED!!
"Why are you naked?" I ask, covering my eyes.
"He was in the middle of something before the police burst in... can you please help me? I wouldn't let anyone else..." she sighs. "You can open your eyes... I trust you..." she says. I gently remove my hands and pull off my hoodie, passing it to her as well as a pair of her sweatpants. She sits up slowly and I notice way more injuries than there once was... her neck has two hand marks, suggesting that she called me when he was strangling him or something... i help her with her hoodie and she puts on her pants. I help her up afterwards and she collapses in my arms, sobbing. I hold her close and calm her down so I can ask her something.
"What did the other officers do to you..?" I swallow hard, afraid of the answer and she sobs harder... her legs start shaking and just as she's about to collapse, I hold her up and carry her to her bed. I pull her close and hold her while she still sobs in my arms.

A few hours later, she's at mine, passed out from crying so much. I pull her closer to me and she nuzzles her head into my neck.