6) Unexpected Visitor

🩸 Davina's POV 🩸

I let Christian drag me out to the vineyard. As we walk, Christian grabs my hand and clasps it with his. And, when I tell you this man has a death grip...

Once we reach a secluded area in the vineyard, I force my hand out of his and give him a not-so playful shove.

"What the hell was that, huh? Are you trying to send a message to the King or something?"

"What, you didn't want to hold my hand?" he snorts.

"Actually, no, I didn't. Just because the King wants us to be married doesn't mean I do. So stop kissing his ass and pretending like we're in love," I huff. I instantly feel bad for hashing out all of my hatred on him. He didn't deserve that. I think.

"Sorry," I mumble. I'm not very good at apologizing. I've been raised to accept my actions and pretend like I intentionally made them. But there's something different about Christian.

"It's alright," Christian starts, casually staring at me like he always does, "I know you didn't get much sleep last night."

"Hmm?" How would he know that?

"Don't you wanna know why I said someone was hiding in your room, or do you still wanna argue about me saving your life?" he says dramatically as he falls onto a stone bench.

I take a seat beside him and scoff. He takes my silence as an answer and starts on his explanation.

"Okay, so, actually I really don't have anything to say. I came into your room and sensed someone. I was kind of hoping you would know?"

I give him one of my famous blank stares.

He's kidding, right? Should I be laughing?

His silence makes me realize he's serious.

"Okay, so you're telling me that you walked in my room, for no apparent reason, sensed another human body in my room, had absolutely no idea where they were, and dragged me out here, hoping I would know why a pervert was in my room without me noticing," I question. Even when I put it point-blank it sounds ridiculous.

"...yes."

I give him one of my sarcastic little smiles. "Alright," I say as I stand up and smooth out the wrinkles in my day dress, "well, shockingly, I have no idea who was in my room without me noticing. And your explanation makes zero sense, might I add, but hey, I've learned not to ask questions, right?" He just stares at me like he always does. It's like he's trying to speak with his eyes, but I don't speak eyeball.

"Let me guess, it's the guy that made all of your scars disappear in a matter of hours?" I jokingly question. Our relationship is getting more confusing by the second. "Well, this has been a wonderful date, truly, but I think the assassin in my room might be the better company at this point."

As I start to make my dramatic exit, I feel Christian wrap his hands around my waist and turn me around, firmly holding me in place. I try and move his hands away, but they won't budge. I swear he has like super strength or something.

"I know you're hiding something," he says in a low tone. My eyes slightly go wide, and I almost feel intimidated for a second. Almost.

He brings his face closer to mine, and the wind starts to pick up, almost like it's pushing him towards me.

Real subtle, guys.

He smirks and comes inches to my face. "Careful, looks like Windsor is starting to live up to its name."