16) Blood Oath

🩸 Davinas POV 🩸

"What do we possibly need to discuss," I scoff. I can feel my legs and hands starting to shake so I sit back down on the table and sit on my hands.

"As of tonight, you will be officially engaged to Christian."

I... what?

I just blink in response. "Don't you need some signature from us to make it official?"

"Yes, you already did. It was somewhere in your paperwork. And I called Christian into my office to sign this evening."

"I would remember signing my soul away, I never saw a legal document like that in my paperwork."

"Hmm, if you paid attention and read the fine lines, you would see that not only did you sign the trade agreement with Amberton, you agreed to an arranged marriage set to be celebrated at my hand. But, of course, I could have included you signing off to your death and you would never have noticed until your head was off your shoulders."

I force back the tears that are begging to pour out. I feel... defeated. He took advantage of me. He worked me and starved me until I could barely keep my eyes open, then tricked me into an arranged marriage.

"How did you trick Christian?" I bite down on my tongue after hearing my voice waver.

"I didn't. He knows what's best for his country, so he signed it willingly."

I feel like I've been stabbed in the back. Twice.

Christian not only murdered our only lead, but he agreed to a marriage he knew I wasn't comfortable with.

He was never on my side.

My sadness slowly turns into boiling rage. I put my trust in people and they take advantage of it every time.

Your allies are your enemies. Your enemies are your enemies.

Trust nobody.

I stand up now, suddenly feeling the weight of my crown.

"What's your plan?" I raise my voice and start walking towards him. "Oh, come on, you can't tell me this isn't a part of one of your major schemes. You killed Gavin, didn't you? Then what? I'm next? Are you going to put the blame on Christian?"

I know Christian killed Gavin. But as much as I would love to accuse him and see him dragged through dirt, I have just as much blood on my hands as him. He could easily take me down with him.

"I did not kill Gavin," he says through a tight voice, clenching a chair beside him.

"Then who do you think did?"

"You." He gives me an accusing glare. I take a step back, shocked at his sudden intensity. "I know you killed him, actually. Because who else would it be? You always have something brewing up in your head Davina, a way to get your hand on my crown. So I'm forcing you through this arranged marriage so I can control you. You can't escape me, Davina. I will reunite the fang and flower."

Fang and flower? Why does that sound so familiar?

"I didn't kill him," I say, storming back towards him in fury, "and for you to accuse me of that is treason itself. You may have a hold on the crown now, but I can see it slipping out of your grasp. You might have control now, but you won't for long, I guarantee it."