Chapter 9 - Thanksgiving Dinner

The doorbell rang and I ran to the door. I opened it to see Mary Anne and her mother. She hugged me smiling. I laughed and hugged her back. 

"How ARE YOU!" She said yelling in an excited voice. I led her and her mother in showing them around.

"Things are getting better I guess," I say and they look in amazement at the house. Nana, Carter, and Uncle Bill were scattered in the dining room and kitchen. 

"I wanna meet Carter," She smiled giving me a playful wink.

"Oh. No. No no no," I said looking at her laughing. I pulled her aside from the adults who all shook hands and talked. 

"No, You are not allowed to hit on my brother," I said trying to come off as serious, but I really wanted to laugh. I took her into the living room were Carter was talking with Nana. 

"Hey, Carter, this is my best friend in the world,"  I say introducing her to him. 

She blushes and goes all nuts over him. I give her a look that says 'back off my brother' "Hello handsommme" She stretches out the word and makes Carter blush a bit. We all laugh and then Mr.Namakura announces that dinner is ready.

We all sit at the huge dining room table. There is plenty of food and Rebecca pours everyone's glasses. Mr.Namakura sets the turkey on the table and there are dishes of mouth-watering foods; Mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, corn, biscuits, bacon wrapped mushrooms, Mac and cheese carbonara, and tons more. We dig in and chatter starts all over the table. Bill, dad, and Mary Anne's dad begin to talk about the company and how it was going. Carter, Mary, and I all talk about the food. 

"Okay, I have never had bacon wrapped mushrooms," Carter says stuffing one in his mouth. 

"Yeah I haven't either," Mary Anne says in agreement. 

I look down at my plate and I only have turkey and green bean casserole. For some reason I wasn't hungry. I looked at the people sitting around me. They were all my family. Some blood, some not. Does it really matter though? DNA shouldn't have to make families official. This family was so close. Even Mary Anne, she was like my sister. I could never do anything without telling her. No DNA certainly does not need to be relevant. I love these people, all of them. I look at Rebecca who is smiling at everyone softly. She takes a sip of her tea and listens to the conversation going on next to her. Even her, even Miss Rebecca is family. She does so much for me and my dad.

Dessert eventually makes its way onto the table. Pumpkin pie, Apple Pie, Ice cream. We all get a slice of the wonderful pumpkin pie that Nana is famous for. Mr.Namakura stands up and we all watch him. He holds his glass in the air. 

"I'd like to take the next few minutes for us all to share one thing we are grateful for," He says.

We all smile at each other and he starts, "I am grateful for my life and my company, I am grateful for my daughter and the air I breathe everyday," He says and I smile. We go around the the table, Rebecca was grateful for her job here and for Mr.Namakura and I. Mary Anne was grateful for her education and the things she has. Uncle Bill is grateful for life and his nephew Carter. Everyone shares wonderful things and It is my turn. 

"I..I'm grateful for everyone at this table," Everyone smiles at me, "You are all my family, even Rebecca," I beam at her and she smiles. "I love all of you and dad," I continue. He tilts his head slightly and grins.

"I could never explain the amount of thanks I want to say to you," I look down at my food and back up, "You have done wonders.." I say. 

He gets up and walks around the table. Rebecca gets her camera and snaps a shot of us just as he leans down to hug me. I could never be happier.