Chapter 3 - The Party

It was the day of the party and I was  kicked out until everything was ready. I had been home all morning until it was later that evening and Mary Anne wanted to set things up. I had a car that I got on my sixteenth birthday. I drove myself over to the Starbucks down the street. I needed to work on my home school work and Starbucks usually was the place to sit down for a coffee and work for a bit. I walked up to the counter and ordered a French Vanilla coffee. I sat at my usual booth and opened my laptop.

Before I found out about my parents, Mary Anne used to tell me about how she would look up things about her biological parents online. I looked and couldn't find anything. I didn't know my parents names for one. Now that I thought about it, Mr.Namakura did not tell me their last names.  I don't even know my last name. They stopped making birth certificates about three decades ago, 32 years ago exactly. Now all your information is kept at the state record services.

There are 50 State Record Services because well 50 states. All your information is there, public records, school records, criminal records. The thing is we have tried. My records are not in the New York State Record Services so I was given one recreated. I have a new one that was made when I was turning 6. It had my first and new last name. Birth Place is unknown but my birthday is still accurate. That was something I could remember. For parents on it was put Mr.Namakura. No mother was listed. Many people have tried to get laws changed to bring back Birth Certificates but instead it is like this. Who knows what will  change in another three decades. 

I looked at the people in sitting next to me. A family with kids. Sometimes I envied kids with two parents, but then afterwards I felt rude. I felt rude for wishing for more when I should be grateful. Mr.Namakura has taken great care of me. I shake the envious thoughts and look at my phone.

6:02 PM 

I opened my messages to see nothing. I had been here for about twenty minutes. I finished my coffee and continues on my work when my phone vibrated. I look down to see a text from my dad.

*Come on back and be ready to be blown off your feet princess* - Namakura

I smile down at my phone and packed up my things. I drove back and headed into the lobby. The whole elevator ride up I was nervous. I don't know why. When the elevator opened and I walked into my apartment the lights were off. What the hell?

I walked towards the living room and the lights flashed on. I jumped at the faces of everyone huddled in the middle of the room. 

"SURPRISE!" They yelled. I laughed and walked up to hug the familiar faces. Lily, Samantha, Mary Anne, Zander, Dakota, Dad, and Grandma Namakura. 

"Nana!" I smiled big and hugged her. 

"Katsurō invited me," she said smiling. "I'll miss you guys when you leave!" she hugs me tightly. Nana lived here in New York as well. She visited a lot and was extremely sweet. 

The room was decorated with white and purple balloons all over the floor on on the wall. The table was filled with drinks and food. I looked down to see sushi and little pocky ポッキー treats. There was chips and dips. I smiled at all the work put into the living room and dining room.

"Mary Anne, you have out done yourself this time," I said hugging her again.

We all sat down with our plates of sushi and treats. The music was blasting and we were all laughing and having a good time. Dad gave us a little space and stayed in the dining most of the time catching up with Nana. 

"I cannot believe I have never been to your apartment. This is really really nice," Lily said amazed and took a small bite of her sushi. 

"I'm so glad you made it," I said smiling at her and blushing slightly because this whole thing made my night. I am so happy.