FRIENEMY

Arjun's POV

The party looked like it was a messy ordeal but my heart seemed to have become messier. My gaze kept going towards Mansi and Bhai. Somehow, seeing them so happy was churning me inside. They seemed so much in love. Was it wrong for me to be sad because of it? I loved Mansi, maybe more than my life. I gulped the whole glass of wine in one go. My neck was burning and I needed that burn bad for a reality check. I was trying my best to keep those thoughts away from my mind. It was high time I started looking at her as a sister in law. It was becoming hard to breathe there. I was suffocating. Not only because of them but everyone seems so fake here. All were in a quest to flaunt their wealth. Some were just looking for suitors for their precious sons and daughters while others were looking for business partners or an alliance. Everything seemed so fake- the lights, the decorations, the smiled, everything. It was better that I left that place to get some fresh air. I told Maa that I am going outside for a while and then almost hurriedly ran down the aisle. I didn't tell anything to Bhai, he was busy with the other guests. It was his day today and I had no right to hinder that. While leaving, I smiled at all the other guests who were smiling at me. I wanted to escape sooner and the crowd of people wasn't making the task anything easier.

After much difficulty, I am finally outside. I looked around to find myself a nice spot. I was just heading towards my favorite spot when I heard someone's footsteps behind me. I ignored it at the beginning and went ahead to the place where yellow roses were present. Mansi's favourite flowers! I sighed. I remember how I planted those flowers so that I can give Mansi a rose everyday. Everything about my actions was always directed towards her. My thoughts were disturbed by the same footsteps I had heard before.

"There's no one here. Speak what you have to say." I can hear the tone of command and irritation in my voice. Honestly speaking, I wanted to stay alone for a while and to think that I will be disturbed here as well wrecked me bad. After I spoke, I saw the moving of the bushes. That same girl from today! What was her name though? Seema? Naina? Ahh Sunaina! So she is following me huh? She is one of those girls.
I smiled bitterly at this thought of mine. When I saw her for the first day at that beach, I thought she was pure hearted. Guess I am wrong. It's hard to see through people these days I guess. She kept her gaze down. It amused me at some point.

"Speak!" I couldn't be patient anymore. I could see her flinch when I literally roared those words at her. Suddenly I found my heart aching for her. She definitely looked scared. What's with me these days? I seemed to be too weak around women these days.

"I am sorry." She finally spoke. She had a feeble voice. It kinda makes me wonder how this girl interacted with Maa who was a strong woman. "I really didn't mean to follow you. I just felt you looked sad-" I cut her off in between.

"Sad? You seem to know a lot about me huh?" Was she really like those other girls who didn't care about anything else other than their profit? I looked sad? Who does she think she is to care about me! A girl whom I just met a few hours ago maybe. I retraced my steps towards her. She was clearly getting affected by it. She tried her best not to move but I can clearly see how uncomfortable she was getting. Damn that expression! Makes me wanna get closer to her. My gaze fixed on her as I see her lashes move. Now that I look at her closely, she looks stunning in this attire.

Blue...the color that drives me crazy. Maa must be scheming something to make her wear blue. Although she is a queen, she trusts people easily. But that's what made a different queen. She was always everyone's favourite. People felt as if she was their own mother. She might be too naive at times but when the time comes she has a complete personality switch. I was honestly proud of Maa. She was the only one who loved me in this household. Well...her and Bhai ofcourse. I realised that I had zoned out when I heard her speaking in that same feeble tone.

""Excuse me...you are too close." I can see the discomfort she was having in her voice. Not gonna lie but I liked it a lot. Am I becoming a masochist? I don't know honestly.

"You seem to act as if you know so much about me. Huh! So tell me. What else do you know about me?" I continued the proximity and I continued to interrogate her. I hated pretence and for me she was just doing that. I knew she was just pretending to care for me probably because she thinks, she can be a part of the inheritance through me. I smiled bitterly at that thought. I am not the naive Arjun I used to be. I wanted to teach this brat a lesson. All along she kept silent. I was waiting for her to say something, to prove me wrong. It hurts being right. It hurts to see people around you want to just use you. I broke the silence between us again expecting no reply from her side now.

"I knew it." It was time for me to give out a big laugh. Was I laughing at my misfortune or at the irony of the situation? I would never know. But I didn't want to stop there.

"You don't know anything about me." I was unable to control my emotions at that particular moment. I found myself clapping vigorously in front of her. I had already moved away from her and was finding the situation so funny. I couldn't contain my spite for her. What's the point of having such an innocent and pure face when you are just as vile as everyone else in that party. "You must have some ulterior motives. I mean I know you must have planned the encounter with me in the beach too." I knew I had snapped this time. I was tired of this facade. I was always the happy go lucky person. People I guess have started to take advantage of that. She seemed to be very surprised at my words.  I continued seeing no protest from her side. Seeing her mouth shut makes me angrier. I thought she will deny it all. I guess I was wrong. "Hmm...you even tricked my Maa to believe you huh? I know girls like you. You must be after our family assets right? Well...I am really disappointed to tell you that-"

"Listen Mr Arjun Saxena!" I was cut off in between. "If you think I have eyes on your money, you are wrong. I mean dead wrong! I know you are not going inherit a single penny. This business of yours is the only way that you can earn money.!" I was shocked at her words. How did she know? Wasn't it supposed to be a family secret? My dad never thought me to be a capable person and hence all the inheritance was given to Bhai. I was just given a business plan that took me so much hard work to establish.  "You think you are so irresistible...huh?" She continued. "Like just because you have a handsome face that doesn't mean you have the license to feel all high and mighty." That amused me. So she thinks me to be handsome and irresistible? That's a new one. I saw her leaving the garden after saying those words. I thought she was gone when suddenly she paused in her steps halfway and came back to me again. She came closer to me this time. All the feebleness was gone just like that. Now I saw a ball of fire standing in front of me. She spat at me again.

"And just to answer your question. You are Arjun Saxena, the owner of the Conark industries. You love less spicy food. You have hazel blue eyes that remind people of ocean. You were a reserved kid in your childhood. You tried your very best and topped in your education spheres and yes blue is your favorite colour. Lastly you hate black and I don't know why you are wearing this but I can tell that you are so not comfortable in this. I hope that is enough to tell you if I really know anything about you or just faking it away. Goodbye!" My eyes would have fallen out of the socket if that would have been possible. She didn't give me a chance to answer her back and stomped off the garden. I was dumbfounded. She knew so much about me. How? Who told her all this? She even knew that I hated the colour black. How can someone know so much about me? She is a complete stranger but after today's conversation, I really doubt that. Who is she? I need to know. I believe all my questions can only be answered by her but now it's not the time.

We are finally going to jump into the mysteries. I hope you liked the story so far. It would be great if you all can give this chapter a read. Thank you for sticking with my book. I hope I can give you guys a story that stays with you.