friday

It was friday and Karl had never been tested for his patience this much in his life.
The school day took an eternity to end and in the late afternoon, the time did everything, but fly.

He sat around in Nicks jersey for three hours, annoying everyone he knew.

Especially Nick.
He texted him, that the shirt was comfy and that it was way to big for him.
Nick had taken a wild guess, saying that it was to big because Karl didn't wear padding under it and Karl told him that that was a really good guess.

Karl had also texted Nick, that he would pay his food if they won and that he was already weirdly excited for the game.
The brunette had then asked him, since when he liked football and Karl had replied with idk guess since we're friends.

And then it was finally five pm and Karl rushed out the house, to pick up George, Alex and Will.

George wore Clays jersey with the number one on it, Alex, surprisingly, really wore Wills hoodie and Will wore a basic grey shirt.
"I didn't wanna wear my brothers jersey and I don't have anything else with the school colors and grey is a safe choice, so don't judge me.", he had justified his outfit choice.

Around five-thirty they finally arrived at their school, making their way to the football field.
The team was already warming up and soon Karl heard Nick yelling his name over the field.

Karl waved at him excitedly, pointing at the jersey he was wearing with a big smile and Nick melted.
"Looks great!", he yelled over, smiling at Karl.
Karl giggled and yelled back a: "You look great too!"

Alex and Will had already reserved them seats, when George and Karl finished greeting Clay and Nick.
They sat first row, on the left.

It took a while, until the game started and even if Karl had no idea what was going on, he was excited about everything happening, because all of it was new to him.

So he sat there, giggling, talking to his friends and shifted in his seat from time to time.

When the game finally started, Karl was clueless, but still amazed by how fast everyone was running despite the thick padding they had to wear.

He was confused at some points and thought about writing his questions down, so Nick could answer them later, after all, they would get dinner after the game.
He eventually decided against it and just tried to follow the commentary that tried to explain what was going on anyways.

And suddenly, after a while Karl remembered his promise to Nick, that he would cheer at a random time.
He called it perfect timing, that right now there wasn't much happening on the field.

So he just yelled: "You got this Nick!", into the silence around them.
And soon he heard laughter from all around him and he could watch how Nick looked up to were they were sitting, waving and probably laughing.
A promise was a promise.

His friends started making jokes about how he looked like a supportive boyfriend and Karl knew they would never let him live this down.

The game went on and soon they were close to the end.
As far as Karl understood, their team had to score the next point and they would win.

Clay and Nick ran over the field, their team mates close behind, tackling people from the other team.

The crowd was cheering, it was deafening.
Karl was overwhelmed, but good overwhelmed, the colors and lights, the cheering.
It felt like he had just entered a new world.
He had entered Nick's world and he could understand, why he loved it so much.