002

CHAPTER TWO
Bringing Out the Dead (Part 1)

________________________________________________________________________________

-Elena-

"Sister?" Elena asked, her voice full of shock. "But all the drawings said—"

"Do you really believe everything you read?" Rebekah snapped. Elena clenched her jaw closed, her eyes flashing in annoyance for a second, but she didn't say anything, just let Rebekah work through whatever it was she was feeling. It was clear that this girl was the last person Rebekah expected to see, and Elena knew the bond with a sibling ran deep. She couldn't imagine anything ever happening to Jeremy, and had to ignore the memory of Damon snapping his neck.

"She isn't blood, but she's still my sister."

Elena glanced from Rebekah down to the girl again. Both were Originals, but they had no resemblance. "I don't—"

"She was my best friend. We thought her dead." Rebekah's eyes suddenly flipped to her, not having moved from the girl since she saw her, and she frowned. "How is it that you came to find her?" The tone of her voice wasn't angry or accusatory, just shocked that they managed to do something she herself could not.

"She was in the tunnel. In a small room off from where we found the drawings."

Rebekah frowned. "That makes no sense," she mumbled to herself, soft enough that Elena almost didn't hear her, but then she snapped to attention. "Right. I'll be taking my sister and going now." She made a move for the dagger again and Elena stepped in her way. Rebekah's eyes flashed in rage then, her face changing her into a vampire, and Elena gulped softly. She knew she was the only one there, and she was absolutely no match for the ancient Rebekah. Still, she held her ground.

"You can't. You'll just tell Klaus and we can't let you do that."

"What, do you intend to bargain with him for my sister's life?" She snorted. "That's not going to work. He's not the right one." Elena tilted her head in confusion, not knowing what she met by that, but she didn't have time to ask. "Now move aside, doppelgänger, and let me have her."

"Rebekah—"

"Move!" The blonde vampire hissed, fangs flashing in the light, but a moment later there was a loud snap and she was on the ground. Elena jumped, her eyes darting to Rebekah quickly, and then up to Damon who stood there, shaking his head and wiping his hands together as if he was dusting them off.

"What is it with you and pissing off vampires?" Elena gave him a glare as he leaned down to get Rebekah off the ground. "I'll go dump her somewhere."

"Nicely, Damon," Elena called out.

"Yeah yeah," he mumbled as he left the room.

Elena sighed, gave one last look back at the girl, before leaving the room as well. At least then they knew she was one of them. But what did Rebekah mean by, "He's not the right one"?

.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.

-Later That Night-
-Arabella-

Emerald green eyes flickered open, a gasp ripped out of plush lips.

It had been over five hundred years since she had been awake, over five hundred years since she had seen the sunlight or walked on her own two feet, over five hundred years since she drew breath into her lungs. Even though the time was lost to her, Arabella knew that the time was different, that the world had spun on. For a moment all she could do was gasp and tremble as feeling began to creep into her body, before her veins grated together like sandpaper and her entire being ached.