Chapter 1

Hi All, as most of you already know my book cover was flagged by Wattpad resulting in the delay. I'm still awaiting word on the appeal but thought I would post without it since you've been waiting so long. Please share the link as I don't know how difficult it will be to locate the story without a cover.

Alex's POV

19 Years Ago

"Mama please don't make me go," I beg.

We have been parked outside the school for twenty minutes now as I beg her not to send me to school.

"Alexander, you need to socialise, you may be smart, but you need to know how to interact with your peers." She tells me, not changing her mind.

"Mom, I don't do well with people, they expect me to talk, and I don't like that." I start crying.

"Alexander, just as how you're comfortable talking to me you will find others that you will be comfortable talking to." She tells me and uses her fingers to wipe my tears.

"But you're my mom, it's easy to talk to you," I tell her and she smiles.

"Come, I have to go to work. You are my child, and you undoubtedly have my strength, you are also Jamaican and wi no back from no ting." She says and kisses my forehead.

I love when she speaks patois, she's so royal. When I do it, I don't sound like her but I know all the words and their meanings.

I make my way out of the car and enter the school gate. Too many people, I hate people.

****

It's lunchtime, I get my food and find a tree far away from everyone to sit under. I have been fighting anxiety all morning.

Classes have been a drag, all that they're teaching I learnt from before I was eight.

I feel like I want to tell my father to come and get me, I prefer my private tutoring sessions, fewer people to deal with.

I dismiss the thought because I can't leave my mother alone.

"Hey slave master bwoi" I look up and an older boy is standing in front of me.

I don't answer because I honestly don't know what to say.

"Yuh mi a chat to enuh, gimmie yuh money." He says and I ignore

him.

He slaps me across my face, and I lose it. I am on him in seconds, pushing him to the ground and pounding his face.

First day and I'm in the Principal's office for fighting.

Two weeks later

"The answer is eighty-two," I tell the teacher without even looking up at him.

I'm so bored.

"Alexander, I said to come and work it out on the board." He repeats his request in a stern voice.

I sigh and get up to do as was requested.

"Know it all," I hear Dane whisper as I walk past his desk.

He has been a pain, always teasing me and pushing me in passing.

I've been in several fights in my two weeks here. I am different, so everyone thinks I'm easy prey.

I am yet to lose any of my fights, my father ensured that I learnt how to defend myself.

My mother isn't pleased with my behaviour, but she just doesn't