SIXTEEN

"And this year's Female Artist of the Year goes to..."

Jenna's heart is beating so hard in her chest that she's sure the guy sitting next to her can hear it.

"Jenna James!"

She exhales a deep breath and a relived smile lights up her face. She looks over at Morgan who gives her a thumbs up from his table. He's been a huge help for the past year; she's sure that she wouldn't be doing what she's doing without him.

They've been friends- strictly friends and nothing more than just friends.

She weaves her way through the tables and up to the stage, her dress held by one hand and the other holding Luke Bryan's hand to guide her up the stairs.

She crosses the stage to the mic to Carly Pearce who gives her a huge hug before handing her the award.

Jenna grins at the award in her hands with tears in her eyes as she stands in front of the mic. She was bouncing between the ideas of keeping a speech short and simple like Joe Pesci but she knows she has to address her family at Big Loud.

"First off, I wanna thank everyone for voting." Her eyes run over the crowd and stop at Michael, sitting next to Morgan. How could she not notice that? "Next everyone at Big Loud; Aaron French, Bryson Davis, Joey Moi, Morgan Wallen, Ern, Sean Stemaly but most importantly," She feels her face heat up. "Michael Hardy because without him, I sure as hell wouldn't be up here today without him. Thank you." She turns and exits the stage, tears now slipping down her cheeks.

She makes her way back to her seat, smiling at everyone who congratulated her.

After a few more awards, there is a set coming.

Jen gets another drink between set changes, the alcohol finally doing what it's supposed to. She feels loose and relaxed now.

She watches her ex cross the stage to the center mic and adjust his hat. He slides his hand up the neck of the guitar, his eyes on Jenna.

After playing his first song, A Rock, he's setting his guitar down and taking a few deep, calming breaths.

"Well, this water colored sunset's gonna fade right into dark and this tailgate's gonna rust and this old truck will run out of starts. Whether I go first or you do, girl, one day we won't be together. When you look at me, I just don't believe some things can't last forever..."

She brushes away a stray tear and looks down at her name card, rolling the edges of it anxiously.

"I'll quit loving you when country roads don't wind and curve, when cold beer don't quench your thirst, when there ain't an "Amen" in church. Baby, I'll quit loving you when the sun sets to the east, when the sky turns evergreen. Baby, don't you ever think that I'll quit loving you, yeah..."

She looks up and sees him looking right back at her.

"Yeah, I'll quit loving you when the Mississippi river runs dry when Colorado Rockies ain't high, when the Tennessee moon don't shine..."

He repeats the chorus but when the song ends, he shoots her a bashful smile with a cocky wink.

She blushes, looking away quickly.

After a couple more awards, it's Jenna's turn to perform and wow is she nervous but thankfully, she got to change out of that floor length dress and into cut off shorts and a Hail State tank top with no shoes of course.

She shakes her nerves off and her heading out on stage. Something about performing in front of chartmakers makes her want to throw up but the liquid confidence in her belly helps.