Pay Attention ||Sherlock||

Requested by:  @randomaccount736

The day had been a slow one at 221 B Baker street. Your partner, Sherlock, had just gotten off a case, and had resorted to moping around the flat, while you were in the spare room playing with your pet rats. 

You had expected to do much more begging, and arguing at first, you had even written a list down of every possible reason he could say no, and their counterarguments. 

*Time skip *

"No." Sherlock stated.

"They're not what people think, they're clean, and intelligent, and—"

"Y/n, you asked if you could have a rat, and I said no. They are social creatures."

"So...can I—"

"Yes, you can get pet rats." Sherlock smiled briefly at you, before looking back at the paper he was reading. "You can also throw away the list in your pocket."

*Present*

He had helped you set up a cardboard enclosure in the room so that the rats would have some boundaries, and helped with the cage, making sure the rats had enough room to climb in. He'd never tell you, but sometimes he'd work in their room while you were gone, so that he'd have company. In return, you let him train some of the rats to detect drug traces at crime scenes. 

But right now, Sherlock was not sending the rodents on a pursuit for anything, so you were dragging a cork attached to a string around to keep one occupied, while another was looking for the best way to crawl up your leg.

"Y/n!" Sherlock exclaimed, making you jumped as he opened the door dramatically, "sorry."

You smiled at him, "it's fine. Did you find a case."

He sighed, "no. I'm bored."

"You can join me if you want." You said turning back to the rats. 

Sherlock shot the rodents a look. "You know the cork is fine for them, right? You don't need to dangle it around."

"It's called playing." You retorted, continuing to play with your rats.

Sherlock stayed silent a moment after your comment, "y/n, can you make me some tea."

"Will it help with your boredom?" You asked, looking back at him. He nodded. "Alright, then. Watch them for me." You said, leaving him with the rats while you made tea. 

The water was done when you heard Sherlock shouting.

"Y/n! Y/n, come quick! Our room" You turned the kettle off quickly before rushing to your room.

"What's wrong?" You walked in to see Sherlock sitting on the bed. "What happened? Where are the rats?"

Sherlock frowned at mention of the rats. "I put them up."

"Why?" 

"Because they're the only things you pay attention to. They're distracting you."

"Oh, I see." You say, trying to stifle as smirk, as you close the door behind you, before making your way over to your partner. "Someone's jealous." You wander over to him, and begin running your fingers through his hair, knowing his weakness for it.

"No." He grumbles.

"Oh, okay. Then you don't mind if I go back to playing with my rats." You start lifting your head, but Sherlock grabs your wrist, and pulls your hand against him again. 

"This is nice." He states, factually. You only hum in reply.

Moments later, the two of you were laying in your bed, his head against your chest, and his arms around your waist. You still had some hand in his hair, and the other wrapped around his back. 

After a while, you began to feel a small pain in your ribs. You began to shift around, subconsciously, though Sherlock picked up on what was wrong quickly. 

"How long have you been wearing it?"

"Only a couple of hours. It's fine."

"Longer. You've been wearing it since this morning," Sherlock stated, sitting up, "take it off."

You sighed, "Sherlock, it's fine."

"No, take it off."

"Turn around." 

He nodded, and did so. He always respected your privacy when it came to your body, despite having lived together for a while. He knew you trusted him, but he also knew you still didn't want him to see you all the time. 

You turned around, too, for your own comfort while you changed. Once you were done, you turned back around, and hugged him from behind, pulling him back down with you. You kissed his neck, and inched even closer to him.

"I love you." He murmured. 

You smiled—he didn't say 'I love you' first often, but it always made you happy when he did. "I love you too, I'll pay more attention to you in the future."

He nodded, before pausing. "Not on cases."

"No," you agreed, "not on cases."

He fell asleep first, too, and you fell asleep soon after.