:thonking:

if you're seeing this, then that means I've finished this story and I'm uploading the various thought processes that I had during the making of this story cause some people might like to check out what the hell i had going on in my head while writing. a lot of these ideas might be scrapped, and there may be some elements in the story that were never listed here. that means i probably came up with them as i was writing lmao

prepare for the hellscape that is my thought process LMFAO

fallout 4-like setting, except instead of nukes a massive war wiped out civilization

mc is a scientist that helped make the weapons of war that ruined the planet

mc stumbles upon mumei, who takes the form of a dying girl because civilization is crumbling, and being a representation of that concept, is dying with it

at first mc tries healing her with the modern medicine, it just ends up being completely useless. mc tries everything and almost gives up but accidentally drops their PDA which was displaying the Council myths.

mumei reads and remembers who she is. she draws life force from the remaining human tribes and gains enough strength to stand up and switch from owl to human form.

mc bonds with her and ultimately realizes that she's the guardian of civilization and tries to fix it by trying to create a city with the remainders of the world

mc isn't too successful at first because the people recognize him and blame him for what happened to the earth

(later into the story) the remaining people from the people mc waged war against hear about mcs established city and wage war on him again.
the city almost gets ruined and because mc had gathered a big bunch of civilization into one place, mumei almost dies, but fauna takes pity upon mumei and the earth swallows up the city farms along with a few people, saving civilization.

Catalyst: a big, 100 foot tall nuclear powered gun tower, like the G.U.N. in Subnautica. it was supposed to end the war once and for all but a malfunction happens when mc fires it and it explodes, releasing a nuclear shockwave around the world that causes all nuclear powerplants and electricity related things to explode with it, triggering the collapse of the world.
mc is the sole survivor of the blast because the area where he fires the weapon from doubles as an indestructible chamber that's designed to put whoever's inside into stasis in the event of disaster like what happened.

mc wakes up from stasis 200 years later, the world is like the map of Ark Abberation, almost everything manmade has been destroyed along with the ozone layer. At day, anything that gets hit with the suns rays without appropriate protection evaporates and at night radiation affected creatures come out to hunt.

The underground eroded into giant caverns filled with flourishing wildlife, the remains of underground facilities like the subways. Humankind lives underground in a sort of stone age. 

Mumei has a satchel full of notebooks. One of the notebooks documents what happened after MC fell into stasis.

Mumei can switch to her demon mode, doing the jagged teeth, red eyes thing and her knife elongates, turning into a ten-inch blade and she becomes super aggressive, attacking anything in sight wether friend or foe. She hates using it and will only do it when super needed.

Chapter 3 notes:

The village tells mc that the village is half-ruined because "the girl with the cape" brought bad omens.