Duel of Deception

Here she was, yet again, dressed as Ryutaro Naruhodo. But this time, she was outside of Barok van Zieks' office. Susato drew in a deep breath and knocked, even though the door was partially open.

"Enter."

Anxious, she pushed the door open the rest of the way and stepped tentatively inside the office. Barok was at his desk near the back wall, grey light streaming in through the window behind him, as he pored over paperwork.

"Pray forgive the discourtesy. I will be with you in just a moment," he said, without looking up.

Susato clutched her hand into a nervous fist. And suddenly became aware of a sharp stare digging into her. She turned her head. Kazuma was standing beside his Japanese-style desk, rifling through some papers, but had frozen mid-action. He looked at her face deeply, a glare settling gradually onto his features, and she knew she was caught.

"What are you doing? Why are you dressed like that?" Kazuma demanded.

"What do you mean? I always dress like this. It's my signature look, ha ha!" she said nervously, her voice as low in pitch as she could make it.

"Why are you talking like that? What is this?" Kazuma demanded further, his tone sharpening.

"Watashi no honmyou wa iwanaide kudasai," Susato begged.

"Naze?"

"Barokku Banjīkusu-kyou ga tatakau houhou wo oshietekureru kara."

"Totemo hendesu," Kazuma said, shaking his head. "Watashi wa kore ni kanyo shitakunai."

"Naruhodo Ryutaro to yonde kudasai. Onegai!"

Kazuma let out a long sigh. "Fine."

Barok stared at them from his desk, uncomprehending.

"Well, it's nice to see you again Mr. Ryutaro," Kazuma said flintily.

"It's always nice to see you, Kazuma-kun!"

"Kun? You really think I'm going to let that one slide?" Kazuma growled.

"Ha, ha, ha! You're such a good friend to my cousin, Kazuma-kun!" Susato said and reached up to slap him lightly on the back.

"This is ridiculous, and more than a bit creepy," Kazuma hissed below his breath.

"Yes, I know," Susato whispered back with a sigh. "Just please, don't tell him it's me. I don't want to break his trust."

"Well, it's going to come out eventually. The longer it takes, the worse it will be," Kazuma whispered back. A sudden light came into his eyes, a smirk fighting at the edges of his lips. "In that case, I will help as much as I can, Ryutaro-san."

Susato frowned at him. "You still hate him?"

Kazuma nodded, smiling proudly. Then he looked towards Barok. "So, you're going to give Ryutaro some fencing lessons. Or so I hear?"

Susato turned around, growing tense the moment Barok van Zieks looked at her.

"Yes," he said and stood up. "Mr. Ryutaro was accosted rather frightfully after the trial yesterday. As such, I have offered my aid."

"Accosted?" Kazuma echoed and looked towards Susato. "I haven't heard about this."

"Aha...yes, it was rather..." Susato drifted off, wincing.