Carnation

Susato stood beside the gate, shivering. It was a chill evening. The wind bit through her kimono, but she did not care. She had to see Lord van Zieks and apologise, even if he would not forgive her.

"Miss Mikotoba."

Susato stiffened. Turned around. Barok was on the other side of the gate, standing in the pathway that led to the front door. Susato stared at him, as her breath left her lips in a long cloud. She had not realized he was already home; she had believed him to be out somewhere, attending to work.

She looked at him openly, sadness and anxiety both rising up sharply within. His eyes were so cold, his posture rigid, his expression utterly unreadable. There was no hint of warmth or gentleness about him.

"My butler says you have been standing here for hours," Barok said.

Susato nodded.

"If there is something you wish to say, then you may say it," he said.

"Please," Susato said, hugging herself with her arms as the wind pushed over them. She shivered harshly.

Barok watched her for a moment, took in her desperate expression, then finally unlatched the gate.

***

Susato knelt down before the fire roaring in the large marble hearth. She held her hands towards the flames, sighing in relief as the heat rushed over her.

Barok stood nearby, beside a settee. A book was open on the table in front of it. Beside the book was a nearly empty bottle of hallowed wine. Susato watched as he poured the rest of the contents into his chalice before placing another bottle on the table and uncorking it. He poured a second, smaller glass and offered it to her.

"This should warm you," he said.

Susato stood and hesitated. She looked at the chalice he had clearly been drinking from all evening and frowned. She took the glass offered to her but set it down without taking a sip. Instead, she clasped both her hands together and bowed deeply.

"Lord van Zieks, I am terribly sorry. I know nothing I can say will ever make up for what I've done, but I swear to you I never meant to harm you."

He crossed his arms and looked at her evenly.

"I never meant to pull everyone else into my lie. They all urged me to stop. Not a single one of them approved. They truly care for you Barok, and they all felt I was being a fool."

His eyes narrowed.

Realizing her slip, her cheeks darkened. "Sorry, Lord van Zieks," she said, and bowed deeply once more.

"They are right to think you a fool. I cannot understand why you thought this was a good idea. Perhaps your woefully backwards nation has addled your feeble Eastern mind."

Susato stiffened. She straightened out of her bow. "I deserve your anger, I am well aware. But I ask you to not speak so cruelly before I have even explained myself."

"A discourtesy on my part," Barok said stiffly.

"I had told you in no minced terms that I have had to dress as a man in order to even step foot into a Japanese court of law. I suppose in some ways, Ryutaro has become a crutch for me over the past four years. As Ryutaro, I am able to project a confidence I do not truly feel. I am able to be taken seriously. I am treated far better than I am as a woman."