Part 5

I was so surprised to see that this story still gets so many reads. It made me very guilty to stop writing this. Here's the update, I'll finish this book for sure!

Dev (in the kitchen, making coffee): "Why does the coffee taste different today? Did someone mess with my coffee grounds?"

Sonakshi (entering the kitchen): "Your coffee is terrible. I had to use what was available. Can't believe you don't know how to make a decent cup."

Dev (annoyed): "Excuse me? If you don't like it, make your own coffee. This is my space, and I don't need any unwanted critiques."

Sonakshi (sarcastically): "Your space? We're both paying rent here. Get used to sharing, Mr. Possessive."

Dev (rolling his eyes): "Great, just great. Sharing an apartment with someone who clearly has no respect for personal boundaries."

Sonakshi (checking the mail): "Who's this letter for? Oh, it's for you. I didn't know you still had ties here. What's so important?"

Dev (guarded): "None of your business. Just put it on the table and don't touch my mail."

Sonakshi (smirking): "Touchy, aren't we? Like I'm interested in your mail. I have better things to do."

Dev (muttering): "I should've never taken this apartment. London was supposed to be my escape, not another battleground."

Sonakshi (on the phone with a friend): "Can you believe I'm stuck in this apartment with someone so uptight? It's like living with a grumpy bear."

Dev (overhearing): "Grumpy bear? I'm not the one who decided to invade someone else's territory. Tell your friend to mind her own business."

Sonakshi (mockingly): "Oh, Mr.Obodro has a voice. I thought you only knew how to glare."

Despite the tension, the everyday exchanges slowly reveal the layers of their personalities and the unresolved emotions beneath the surface.

Later in the evening

Dev (attempting to cook): "I can't believe I burned dinner. Great, just great. Now the whole apartment smells like charred regrets."

Sonakshi (walking into the kitchen): "What's that smell? Did you forget you were cooking? It's like a smoke signal for disaster."

Dev (defensive): "I got distracted. It happens. I don't need your culinary commentary. Mind your own business."

Sonakshi (sarcastically): "Fine, I'll let you enjoy your gourmet burnt cuisine in peace. Bon appétit, Mr. Culinary Expert."

Dev (grumbling): "This is ridiculous. I didn't sign up for this when I moved here. Can't catch a break."

After winding up the dinner, Sonakshi sat in the living room. She noticed a small album tucked in the corner of the living room.

Sonakshi: "What's this doing here? Did you bring a piece of your past with you?"

Dev (guarded): "Put that down. It's personal. I don't need you snooping around my things."

Sonakshi (curious): "Personal, huh? Like your precious coffee mug and burnt dinner? I'm not interested in your ancient history."

Dev (softening): "Just put it back where you found it. It's the only piece of my past I have left."

Sonakshi (more gently): "Fine, I'll put it back. But don't act like I care about your past. We all have our baggage to deal with."

Sonakshi was very surprised to see the album casually laying in the house, especially in the living room. She was curious to know what was the past Dev carried with him all the way here.

Later at midnight, As Sonakshi sits in the dimly lit room, the album in her hands becomes a portal to the past. She can almost feel the warmth of Dev's presence in those photographs. The room is filled with a bittersweet melancholy, and she can't help but wish for a way to turn back time.

Sonakshi (whispering to herself): "We were so happy, Dev. What went wrong? I miss the person you used to be, the life we had together. Dev, why did things change? I miss us. I miss being a part of your life."

As she contemplates the memories, Dev, drawn by the soft light, notices her sitting alone in the quiet. He observes her from a distance, his heart echoing the sentiments she struggles with. The urge to comfort her, to erase the pain etched on her face, tugs at him.

Dev (to himself, watching Sonakshi, he didn't mind her going through his album, his little secret): "She looks so lost, so full of longing. I wish I could go to her, hold her, and tell her how sorry I am. But I can't. It's too complicated."

Dev stands there, wrestling with his own emotions, caught between the desire to reconnect and the barriers that have grown between them. He contemplates approaching her, yet the fear of rejection and the weight of their shared history keep him rooted in place.

Sonakshi, sensing a presence, looks up to see Dev watching her. Their eyes briefly lock, a silent exchange of emotions passing between them. The air thickens with unspoken words, creating a palpable tension in the room.

Sonakshi (avoiding eye contact): "Dev, what are you doing here? Can't you give me some space?"

Dev (hesitant): "I... I didn't mean to intrude. I just saw you sitting alone, and I couldn't help but wonder...(getting awkward) actually, ummm, good night. "

The words hang in the air, a bridge of unspoken emotions waiting to be crossed. Yet, the gulf between them seems insurmountable, and both Dev and Sonakshi remain prisoners of their own regrets, unable to bridge the chasm that separates them.