Chapter 12

2 years later:

I hurried down the pathway of the dark alleyway looking straight ahead my hood up. I looked around to see no one was there but it wasn't enough for my paranoia. My thoughts shifted to a distant memory ones where I had no care in the world and would take every day as it came. I sighed to myself as I exited the alley and headed to the tree. There he was standing there in his denim jacket, his hood up and headphones in. I paused for a second and watched him from a distance. I couldn't figure out what he was thinking his expression was blank, his eyes dazed as if he wasn't even really here. I stood for a moment contemplating if I even wanted to have this conversation torn between my head and heart. My feet started walking towards him and that was confirmation that my heart had won this war I felt inside me.

"Hey", I said as i approached him. He looked at me snapping out his daze and a warm smile replaced it. That was the Alek I knew, the Alek I had no trouble reading.

"For a moment I thought you wouldn't be coming", he looked at the ground as he uttered these words.

How did it get to this? When did it become so hard to talk to the one person I could always confined in.

"I had to come.. I couldn't leave things like that", I replied my eyes searching his hoping he could somehow read mine and know how I felt.
"More importantly I had to know, I needed you to tell me what happened", I continued before he began speaking.

He paused for a moment sighing deeply his fingers drifted towards the bridge of he nose pinching it slightly. Now I knew this meant he had a lot to say. Too much in fact, at this point my mind alerted me to the fact I knew this would happen. If anything I was asking for this, it was due time the conversation on how this would work was bound to come up one day. I just thought it would be later rather than sooner.

"I've spent all this time with you, over these years and all I ever wanted was this to work", he started whispering looking at me from where he stood. I watched him closely observing the way he spoke waiting for whatever he had to say.

"Me and you. I struggle figuring out how it will work. I can't give you the life you want. An Amarian bringing in someone from Atlas?" It seemed more like a question than a explanation.

"So what you brought me here to tell me you don't think this will work Alek?,Well I think we knew that from the start don't you?", I replied back curtly. I would be lying if I said the words that left his mouth had not affected me. But what was worst was the annoying nagging voice in the back of my head saying I told you so.

"Kayla you know what I mean, don't say that. I didn't think this would happen, I didn't think any of this would happen", I could see he was getting agitated his sentences becoming more rushed like he had millions of thoughts running through his head.

I glanced at the sky for a moment and looked over too the moon, oh how I wish I was there right now. How I wish the ground could swallow me whole. How I wish my heart would stop beating so fast. How I wished for the butterflies dancing in my stomach to turn to dust.

"I didn't think I'd fall for you.. I didn't realise until the day they found out. But when my parents found out everything changed. They won't even look at me Kayla. Threaten to take my sister away. And I can't do anything but obey them, but listen to them. It's never been any different. You wouldn't understand", Alek shifted his eyes to me and for a brief moment our eyes locked. Fallen for me.. he just admitted he had fallen. Amidst of everything that was going on around us in that moment it became clear to me.

I had fallen too. And it was only in this moment. A moment where I would loose him when I knew. How ironic. If irony was water I'd be drowning so deep, floating away letting the current take me somewhere.

Oh and yes so Aleks parents now know about me and that did not turn out well. Hence the conversation we were having at this point. His mother took it bad I think it was the fear of people knowing, the overthinking of what they'd say. His dad took it in a way I could never understand. The man seemed unbothered yet bothered at the same time. I tried not to take it personal but my feelings always have a mind of their own so it was always going to feel personal. Because of who I am. Something I could never change.

I met Alek at a time where nothing seemed right in this world. I knew nothing was right in this world. But with him it felt right. I just hadn't prepared to fall so blindly..