Prologue

Dr. Teagan Campbell was looking through patient notes and marking possible strategies to help her best connect with her patients, and hopefully get them to open up, one especially, in their next session.

A knock sounded on her door and she did her best to ignore it. She had a deadline she needed to meet and couldn't afford distractions.

The knock sounded again.

Teagan huffed under her breath and asked, "What?"

Chris Beck entered and smiled sheepishly. "Sorry. I know you hate being disturbed when you're working. But I found out some exciting news."

She leaned back in her chair. "And it couldn't wait until dinner?"

"I mean, possibly, but I was too excited to tell you. I can wait until dinner if you'd prefer."

"No, you're here. What's the news?"

"I've been chosen to be the flight surgeon for a mission to Mars."

"Chris, that's amazing!" She stood, ran up to him, and hugged him.

He placed his hands on her shoulders. "They were also wanting a psychologist, just to keep an eye on mental states during the mission, and I put in a good word for you."

Teagan glanced down and Chris frowned. "What is it?"

"It's just, I have so much work to do. And there's one patient that I really shouldn't be leaving."

"We don't leave for awhile. And they're only considering you for the flight psychologist, so you don't have to stress to much. But at least think about it, okay?"

She nodded. "Okay. Thinking is what I excel at."

"Maybe try not to overthink it," Chris said in a teasing tone.

"Consider it... Considered. That sounded better in my head. I need to finish these notes, but I'll meet you for dinner, okay?"

He kissed her and nodded. "Sounds good. Do you want to eat at home or should we meet up somewhere?"

"I've been craving some sort of French cuisine all day, so I say we meet up at that bistro we love."

"Seven?"

Teagan glanced at her watch. It was nearly 5:30. "I think I can do seven. I'll text you if I'm running late or get out early."

"All right, see you then." He kissed her again and left the office.

With a smile, Teagan sat back at her desk and turned back to her evaluation.