Epilogue: The Wedding of the Year

Chris fixed his bowtie in the mirror and let out a breath. He shook his head. He shouldn't be nervous, right? Why was he so nervous?

Vogel patted his shoulder and said, "I was nervous before my wedding too. It's a natural feeling."

"I've dreamed about this moment from the moment I met her to even now," Chris told him. "I shouldn't be nervous, but I am. Why?"

"Because you're about to confess your love for that woman in front of everyone, and you're about to make the declaration to spend the rest of your life with her. That's a scary feeling. But it's also the best feeling you could ever have. Whenever you're ready. No rush."

"Thanks, Vogel."

Vogel nodded as he left the room.

Chris smoothed out his hair and nodded. "I can't wait to see you, Teag."

He left the room and made his way to the sanctuary to wait. That only made his already present anxiety worse.

Watney smiled and said, "You've got nothing to be nervous about. Lewis said Teagan was impatient to walk down the aisle."

Chris chuckled softly. "Yeah, that sounds like her."

The music began and Chris smiled as soon as he heard what Teagan called "their song". He silently mouthed 'for I can't help falling in love with you' just as Teagan began walking down the aisle.

His breath hitched and he had to take a moment. She'd always been beautiful, but today she was stunning. There was no better word to describe it. A tear slipped down his cheek and he made no attempt to wipe it away.

As soon as Teagan faced him at the altar, he whispered in her ear, "You look stunning, Teag."

She gave him the teasing half-smile he adored and said softly, "You don't look half-bad yourself. Chris, you look... Wow."

He laughed softly as the minister smiled and said, "Whenever you two are ready."

The two nodded.

"Ladies and gentlemen, we are gathered here today to join Teagan Campbell and Chris Beck in holy matrimony. If anyone has any objections, speak now or forever hold your peace." No one spoke up and the minister said, "I understand you've both prepared your own vows. Chris, if you would."

Steel blue eyes met crystal blue as Chris said, "We've been through a lot, you and I. What couple can say they've been to space together? To Mars of all places. When I thought I'd lost you, a part of me died. And then I found out you and Mark were alive. Nothing could stop me from getting you back; no matter what it took. And it took a hell of a lot. But it was worth it, to be able to see you again, to be able to hold you and to tell you how much I love you." He picked up the ring for her and slipped it on her left hand. "With this ring I thee wed."

"Teagan, your vows."

Teagan pulled out a note card, causing Chris to laugh softly. "I don't want to mess up."

Chris smiled. "Baby, if you mess up, it's okay. I promise I won't hold it against you too much."

She smiled and let out a slow breath. "When I got stuck on Mars with Watney, you were the only thing that kept me going. As sad as that is to say, seeing you again was what rejuvenated my diminishing hope each day and night. When Mark and I found out the Hermes was coming back for us, it was one of the happiest days of my life. And being in your arms again, despite not having showered in a year-and-a-half, made that ordeal worth it. Uh, not that it wasn't already. I mean, we grew potatoes on a planet where nothing grows! But seeing you again- Chris, you were the light when I was at my darkest. You're my North Star, and that will never change. I love you so damn much and I want to kiss you so bad right now." The audience laughed as she picked up the ring for Chris and slipped it on his left hand. "With this ring I thee wed."

The two promised to love each other for as long as they both lived, in sickness and in health.

"I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss your bride," the minister said.

Chris pulled Teagan close and pressed a gentle kiss to her lips.

When they pulled away, the crowd was cheering as the minister said, "Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. and Mrs. Beck."

The crew of the Hermes jumped up in applause and Mark whistled before saying, "I told you, Teagan, the wedding of the year."

Teagan laughed and nodded. "It certainly was."

Chris smiled as he kissed his wife's temple. "I love you, Teagan. I'm never gonna get tired of saying that."

Teagan faced him as she wrapped her arms around his neck. "Me neither. I love you, Christopher."

He gave her a playful smile and took her hand.

The two ran down the aisle with smiles so wide the corners of their mouths ached soon after.