Chapter 2

Will kept the hood of his cloak up, the cowl hiding his face in the shadows. It was a good thing, too, because he was having a hard time adopting the grim expression Halt had trained him to wear while on duty.

In fact, he had been having a hard time keeping the smile off his face for months now, ever since he and Alyss had married.

"Honeymoon phase," Halt had once commented dryly. "You look like you've taken in too much happy juice."

"Leave him be, Halt," Pauline would always chastise. "He's happy and he's in love." And then, with a rueful smile, she would always add, "I can remember when you were that in love with me."

At this, Halt would blush. Truth be told, the grizzled Ranger was still, and always would be, in love with his wife. Everyone knew that.

The memory of that conversation, which had been repeated countless times, only made Will smile more. Beneath him, Tug snorted.

What are you grinning about?

Will chuckled lowly.

"You can't see me smiling from down there," he told the little horse. Tug flicked his tail.

I don't have to see, he seemed to say. I know everything.

Will cast his gaze out across the road, ignoring his horse. It was still fairly early in the morning, but there were several travelers on the road.

"Morning, Ranger!" One traveler, braver and more cheerful than the others, called. Will wanted nothing more than to return the man's joy. He hesitated. If Halt were here, he would be giving Will a discouraging look. Will could almost feel the man's dark gaze now.

Still... it couldn't hurt.

"Morning, friend," Will returned happily. The man, aware that Rangers were busy folk, didn't engage in further conversation. He simply waved a farewell, which Will returned, and passed by.

Again, Tug let out a loud breath.

Halt would be disappointed.

Will frowned slightly. "He would not," he argued. "We have to build rapport with the common folk. It builds respect and trust for the Corps."

You just wanted to talk because you've been quiet for so long.

Will sighed heavily.

"Kill joy," he accused.

Jabber jaw.

"Grump."

Apple.

Will furrowed his brows.

"What?

Tug whinnied.

I want an apple.

For a moment, Will was struck by the audacity of the small horse. Then he shook his head in wonder.

"You think I'm going to give you an apple for being rude to me?" He demanded. Tug nickered, a low rumble in his chest.

I think you're going to give me an apple for hauling you around all morning.

Will rolled his eyes.

"That's your job."

And your job is to take note of suspicious activity, but you seem to be doing poorly at that.

Will's eyes snapped up at this, scanning the road. Several meters ahead, there was a rough looking man standing uncomfortably close to a woman.

"What's this?" He wondered softly to himself.

Careful to maneuver Tug so that they were positioned behind the man, Will gave his horse the command for silence. True to his training, Tug ceased all noise, somehow even making his steps as quiet as possible.

"Please, sir, let me go," the woman was begging. The man, still unaware of Will's presence behind him, sneered.

"Give me what I want, and you can go wherever you please for all I care," he growled.

Will raised an eyebrow.

"And what, exactly, is it that you want?" His low voice cut through the man's laughter like a whip. The man's body tensed, clearly preparing for a fight.

"That's none of your-"

As he turned to Will, his voice died in his throat, replaced by an extremely undignified choking noise.

"I think you'll find that it is certainly is my business," Will said in a deathly calm, quiet voice. The man swallowed.

"R-Ranger!" He squawked. "I-I was just..."

"Just harassing this poor woman," Will finished in a no-nonsense tone. "Yes, I saw that. If I were you, I would do one of two things."

He let the silence drag on until the man drew a shaky breath.

"W-what-"

"First," Will snapped, and the man flinched. "Offer yourself up for the appropriate reprimands for your actions. I hear a year's worth of service is the sentence for the unlawful handling of a lady."

The man paled.

"N-no! I wasn't doing anything-"

"Or second," Will continued. For effect, he reached up and pulled back the cowl of his hood. Until now, he'd left it in place to create a more ominous appearance. Too often, people saw Will's young face and underestimated his authority. Now, however, the man was effectively afraid, and Will's stern, hard glare would cement his authority.

"You can drop the act of a desirable, wealthy man," Will continued, "and scurry home to the farm where you'll be of some worth to this land."

The man didn't consider that his tanned skin, calloused hands, and the straw hat tucked into his pack were dead giveaways of his true livelihood. In his simple mind, Will had just inferred impossible information through, what in his mind could only be, magic.

"How...how did-"

"Take your choice, farmer. Servitude, or scurrying home?"

The man trembled.

"H-home!" He finally cried. "Let me go home, please!"

Will stared the man down until it seemed to dawn on him that he'd just been forced to plead the same thing the woman had been begging for only moments ago. Finally satisfied when a small amount of shame was evident in his face, Will nodded once.

"Be gone, then," he said. "And if I see you so much as looking at another human being in the wrong way again, you won't get a choice of what I do with you."

The man muttered several thanks and apologies before stumbling over his own feet in an attempt to leave the scene behind. Will watched him go before turning back to the woman.

"Oh, thank you, Ranger!"

Will offered a small smile.

"It's my job," he reminded her gently. She only smiled wider, thanking him more. Finally, she too hurried away, on to her business for the day.

Will smiled to himself as he returned the hood of his cloak upon his head.

I could smell the fear on him, Tug commented. Will only huffed out a laugh.

"You could not," he argued carelessly. Tug snorted.

I could, he returned. Almost as easily as I could smell the sadness on you.

Will balked. "I'm not sad!"

Are too.

"Why would I be sad?"

Because it's been quiet for too long, Tug said. And you saw Alyss' papers. You know what that means.

Will sighed. Of course, Tug was right.

"Yes, I know what that means," he said softly. "She has another mission."