1. Enlighten me..

"Mom, please don't make me go." I whine as I adjust the bow in my hair. "It'll be fun!" my mom insisted. She's been wanting me to go since I told her about it (rookie mistake) last week. She's been begging for so long, I'm surprised she hasn't begun to beg on her knees.

Okay, don't ask why I told her about the dance my school was holding this evening. I wasn't expecting her to go all snappy on me.

Oops. I was so held up in arguing with my mom that I forgot to introduce myself.

Well.. for starters, my name is Lola Shepherd.
I never have and never will swear in my life.
I have no brothers, sisters, not even a dog.
I live with my mom.
And last but not least, I'm anything but popular at my school.

It's not like I don't have any friends. I just don't like attention. And guess what happens when you're popular.

Attention.

I grab an apple as I realize my mother was still trying to get me to go to this dance/ball thingy.

She just wasn't gonna give up, was she?

"We even get to go with our new neighbors!" she was saying. Bored, I roll my eyes and peel the red apple skin off with my teeth. The skin was awful.

"And who is that?" I ask. "The Asher's." she says, a gleam in her eyes.

I nod, already too familiar with the name.

The Asher's only son, Noah, went to my school and let me just tell you.
That boy was hell on heels.

"What kind of name is Asher anyway..?" I ask, grabbing my bag and sending a wink towards my mother.

"Oh please, Lola. Give them a chance."

There she goes with the begging again.

"Oh I have. Noah is such a jerk he isn't even human." I say and bite my skinless apple.

My mom huffs and sighs once she finally realizes she wasn't gonna break me into going to this thing. She kisses my forehead and pushes me out the door. I could hear her mumbling something about wicked child and I grin, not turning back to face her.

As I walk up the hill to the school I wonder what horrible fate lies beyond those doors. Then again, maybe today's my lucky day. Who knows? Oh yea, me.

I've never had a lucky day. Never. Today's no different.

As I push through the doors, my once bitten apple still in hand, I smooth my uniform skirt and adjust my bag on my shoulder.

Ahh school. The putrid smell off failure. Which brings me to my next subject. Grades.

My grades are perfect. A's and a dazzling smile.

Can you hear the sarcasm?

My grades aren't bad, but they aren't necessarily good either.
I get Okay grades. Nothing too proud of. Especially calculus. No normal person finds that easy I assume. Except one person.

My best friend, Skylar Huff.

She gets 100's and 90's on every calculus test. Ever. And leaves me in the dust with my 40's and 60's.

As the thoughts swarm through my head, I'm close to my locker and finishing my apple. Standing, waiting for me is the devil in the flesh, Skylar.

We've stuck together since 4th grade when we were both in love with the one and only, Jaylon Davis.

We even fought once for him but I soon realized no boy is worth fighting a girl over. Hottie or snotty.

I apologize and we've been best friends ever since.