Chapter Nine: The Red Mist

Zhao Yunlan glanced at the clock on the wall.  It was a little before nine.  Time to go home.  He usually rode his motorbike to work, but for the last week he had been using his red 4x4, as driving a car put less pressure on his injured leg.  At the present time, it was parked in the police headquarters underground carpark, but instead of heading straight there, he decided to pop across the road and pick up some supplies from a small, but well-stocked convenience store directly opposite the building.

As he crossed the road, through force of habit he glanced through the large windows of the only bar in the immediate area, squinting to see if he recognised any of his colleagues inside, as it was a regular haunt for some of the younger members of the force, himself included.

He had expected to see a few people he knew, particularly on a Friday night, but what he had not expected to see was his new consultant sat at a table in the corner near the window.  He did not recognise the man he was with.  He moved closer.

Shen Wei was having trouble focussing, and his brain felt like it was full of cotton wool.  The still rational part of his mind couldn't quite understand it.  He had not touched a drop of alcohol all night.  Perhaps he was coming down with a fever.

A voice from the other side of the table cut through the fog.

"Shen Wei, are you alright?  You look a little pale.  Perhaps you're over-tired.  Should we leave?"

"I think that would be for the best."

"Okay.  Come with me.  I will make sure to take you somewhere safe."

Somewhere in Shen Wei's brain, he knew that was a bad idea.  He had only just met the man and was not inclined to go anywhere alone with him, particularly in his current state, but his voice, when it came out, was weak.

"I think I should just go home."

"Not an option.  I don't want to leave you.  If you are sick, you shouldn't be by yourself.  Trust me.  I can take care of you."

The professor felt someone tugging on his arm, and he rose to his feet, experiencing a rush of dizziness as he did.  However, even though he was not quite himself, Shen Wei was still strong, and he was not going to let someone force him into going anywhere.  He was about to twist his way free of the other man's grasp when another voice, familiar and reassuring, rang out clearly amongst the din of the busy bar.

"What do you think you're doing?"

Zhu Jiu looked up and saw a tall, slightly untidy looking individual staring daggers at him.  He took a deep breath.

"Not that it's any of your business, but my friend has had a bit too much to drink, so I'm taking him home."

Zhao Yunlan cast a critical eye over the man in front of him.  He was not impressed.  He had noticed from his vantage point outside how this other guy had been looking at Shen Wei, and he had not liked it one bit.  His gaze had been hungry, almost predatory, and it had made the detective's hackles rise immediately.

He looked across at the professor.  His eyes were unfocussed, and he was shaking his head, as if trying to dispel imaginary clouds circling around him.  It was true that he looked as if he had overdone it with the alcohol but, knowing what he did about his new consultant, the police chief thought it would be very out of character for him to do so.  He decided to trust his gut.

"How do you two know each other?" he demanded.

"Like I said, it's none of your business, but we're good friends.  Now please step aside."

Zhao Yunlan was not convinced.

"Actually, it is my business.  I am an inspector with the Dragon City Police, and you are currently manhandling one of my consultants."  He flashed his badge and raised an eyebrow, daring the other man to challenge him.