Special Chapter

Vance Lawrence

"Vance! Vance! Vance! Vance!"

"Okay, UST! Are you guys ready to hear Vance Lawrence Enrique for the first time on this stage?!"

I took a deep breath, trying to muster up the courage to sing my line-up. The last song's for Natalia. An original. I know she's probably not here right now, but I do hope it reaches her.

The song before it, though?

It's one of the songs I knew as a kid, but fully understand now that I'm older.

"Okay lang ba kayo, UST?" I smiled. The crowd immediately went wild. "You guys wanna dance around?"

I didn't want to start my performance with a heavy song, so I sang a few covers of upbeat songs.

"This next song.." I took a deep breath as I finished with the first few upbeat songs. "Is a song I've been practicing for a long time. Probably ever since I was a kid.."

I tried holding back my tears, knowing the depth of the song I'm about to sing.

"This song's for all of you guys struggling to decide between what's practical and what your passion is." I let out a sigh. "Para sa inyo 'to."

The crowd went wild while the band started playing the intro of Simple Plan's Perfect.

"Hey dad, look at me, think back and talk to me. Did I grow up according to plan?"

"'Yang music music na 'yan papakainin ka ba niyan? Mag-isip ka nga, Vance."

"Tignan mo yung pinsan mo, marunong naman mag-gitara, nag-babanda banda ba? Stop throwing your life away."

"And do you think I'm wasting my time doing things I wanna do? But it hurts when you disapprove all along."

"Sana iba nalang naging anak ko kung ganyan rin ka-walang kwenta ambag mo sa pamamahay na 'to." My dad scoffed as he closed the cabinet.

"He's just finding hobbies, George. Hindi niya naman napapabayaan ang pag-aaral niya."

"Yan ba ang ituturo mo sa mga kapatid mo? Mag-gitara? Mamaya hindi ka pa grumaduate ng high school niyan, Vance. Subukan mo lang talaga."

"Pa, ito nga ang gusto ko—"

"Anak, just go to your room." My mom sighed. "Kami na ng tatay mo mag-uusap."

"Pa, if you could only hear how good I'm getting! Magp-proud ka—"

"Ayoko na ngang marinig 'yan!"

"And now, I try hard to make it. I just wanna make you proud." I smiled as the crowd sang along. "I'm never gonna be good enough for you. Can't pretend that I'm alright.. and you can't change me."

Iniwasan ko ang mic sa chorus dahil sa panghihina ng boses ko. Pero hindi ko naiwasang maluha nung nakita ko yung mga tao na kumakanta. A lot of them were wiping off tears from their eyes as they sang from the top of their lungs. I couldn't believe it.

This song isn't really that famous with the new generation but.. at the end of the day, we all just want to make our parents proud. We want to make the people we love happy. And sometimes you get placed in a position where.. you gotta choose between your happiness and their's.

"I try not to think about the pain I feel inside. Did you know you used to be my hero?"

"Open your gift! Come on, come on!" My mom tapped my dad's shoulder. "The camera, Papa. Dali!"