Twist Again

Prompt: Take a cliché and twist it around so it's no longer cliché (I chose taking the abusive alpha werewolf stereotype and made it wholesome lol) and write it in second person.

"Dad!"

You watched in horror as Dad stumbled back, blood seeping from his shoulder from undoubtedly a silver bullet. Everything was falling apart around you as your once-peaceful pack continued to be attacked by hunters. Rion, your more timid twin, froze at the sight, but you couldn't say you fared any better. You were both only fourteen and have barely begun your training. Mom was quick to react, however, rushing to Dad's side as Todd stayed at the door, a gun in steady hands.

A small wave of relief washed over you. You knew you could rely on your older brother.

"Han, are you still with me?" Mom asked, helping Dad to sit on the ground. With a sharp gesture, she waved you and Rion over, and you immediately obeyed, albeit Rion a bit slower.

"I'm still here," Dad gritted out. "Do what you need to do."

"Good. Arc, Rion, keep him steady."

With fluid motions, Mom pulled out a small first aid kit; or a mini surgical kit, if you were being honest. Every werewolf knew how dangerous it was to keep silver in the body, so even if it was unsanitary, it was always good to keep a scalpel on hand, along with trained medics. Mom was one of those trained medics, as was Todd. Most omegas were medics because of their gentler nature.

You looked between Mom and Todd, however. Both reliable and level-headed, keeping their cool even when the alpha of the family went down. You focused your gaze on the ground as Mom began removing the bullet from Dad's shoulder and tried not to flinch when Todd shot off two rounds. They were omegas, but they were anything but helpless.

An old memory came to mind, and you latched onto it as a distraction.

* * * * *

It happened a few years prior. Mom had grounded you, you remembered, after upsetting Todd with a few choice words. You almost felt bad for saying them, especially when he looked close to tears and avoided eye contact, but you were stubborn and prideful. You were a newly presented alpha, after all, so why couldn't you act like one? Mom was still Mom, however, and she firmly sent you to your room.

"Enya? Rion? Did something happen? Where's Arctur and Todd?" Dad asked Mom from the living room. He had just arrived home and was surprised to find the house quiet. Usually, you and your brothers would run to him, eager to talk about recent discoveries or shenanigans. But you were stuck in your room, Todd was probably still moping, and Rion wouldn't run to the door by himself (even if he presented as an alpha, too).

You didn't catch the rest of the conversation, but soon there was a knock on your door.

"Come in," you mutter, already knowing who it was.

Dad quietly stepped into the room and shut the door behind him. Neither of you said a word until he sat next to you.

"So you told Todd he shouldn't talk back to you," he stated, getting straight to the point.

"Yeah."

"Why?"

"Because he's an omega, and he should respect me."

Dad raised an eyebrow. "And why is that? He's your older brother."

"Well, that doesn't matter anymore. I'm an alpha now, and he's just an omega."

"Where did you get that from?"

It irked you that he sounded almost amused. "Everyone knows omegas should listen to alphas. That's just how it is."

"And what about Mom? You still listen to her, don't you?"

You didn't want to admit that Mom was scary when she was angry. "Well...because she's Mom. I still have to listen to her."

Dad didn't respond after that, seeming to mull over your words. You fidgeted nervously but stubbornly held onto your beliefs. If anything, it confused you why Dad wasn't angrier at you for upsetting Todd, even though what you said was the truth.

"You know, before Todd became part of our family, he didn't come from a good place, right?" Dad began softly.

You nodded and squirmed a bit, suddenly feeling uncomfortable.

"He was hurt a lot."

You nodded again, hoping to get done with the conversation sooner. You weren't told everything—Dad said you needed to be older to understand—but you knew whatever happened to Todd wasn't good. Even if Todd had been doing better after living with you for three years, you could still see the remnants of when he first arrived: anxious, quiet, and skittish when any strange alpha came too close.

But Dad wasn't done speaking. "I can guarantee every alpha that hurt him had the same mindset you're displaying right now."

"No! I wouldn't do that! I wouldn't hurt him like that!" you burst out, horrified Dad compared you to them.

"But you did," he said calmly. "You told him he doesn't have a right to speak his mind. You told him to submit. You told him you own him. Not in those words, but the meaning is still there for an omega."

Your mouth gaped open in shock, desperately trying to form some kind of argument—a reason—why you were different. Tears welled in your eyes as shame washed over you. "No...I'm not like that..."

"Here, let me tell you something," Dad said, laying a hand on your back comfortingly. You rubbed your eyes with your palms and sniffed. "Alphas are technically physically stronger than omegas. We tend to be impulsive, assertive, and the primary protectors. But you know who's got our backs?" He jerked his thumb towards the door. "Our omegas. They take care of us and have the ultimate right to tell us when we're being stupid."

You giggled at that. "Like Mom telling you to not use a blowtorch to light a candle?"

"Exactly. I might be missing a few fingers if it weren't for her," he chuckled. "But all that doesn't make omegas helpless. Not in the slightest, and they deserve the same amount of respect, if not more. Because when we fall down, you can bet our omegas won't hesitate to step up to the plate. Nothing is more dangerous than an omega protecting their family."

* * * * *

At that moment in time, you didn't quite understand what Dad was trying to say. You definitely apologized to Todd—even if it ended up with you being comforted by Todd, rather than Todd being comforted by you—and you said nothing about Mom or Todd being omegas again. It wasn't as if you could, anyway. Todd grew up to be as strong and capable as any alpha and could easily be mistaken as one as well, and Mom had always been too fierce to ever be considered submissive. But nothing clicked as much as it did now.

Mom had finished up bandaging Dad's shoulder, and she stood to join Todd at the front. Todd nodded in acknowledgment as she laid a hand on his shoulder, pulling her own gun from its holster.

As they stood at the door, unmoving walls of safety, you realized one thing:

This was your family, and you would do anything to protect each other.