Chapter 7

Chloe locked her door and dropped her purse on the kitchen table. Dominic looked around the house. "I like it."

"What did you think it would be like?"

"Not sure. It just reflects your personality well."

"Okay. Well, I'm going to make dinner. Any preferences?"

"Food."

She laughed, "You sure are helpful."

He let a smile escape, then pulled out his phone to call someone.

Chloe finished making a casserole, then set the table. It was a big casserole. More than enough for two people, but oh well.
A knock on her front door startled her. Dominic placed a hand on her shoulder. "It's my brother."

His brother? Nevertheless, she went to open the door. Dominic stopped her.

"What?"

He shrugged, "Better be safe than sorry."

She took a step back and he went to open the door. Cole Wagner stood on her front steps, holding a duffel bag. He threw the duffel bag at Dominic, who caught it with a grunt.

"Hi. You must be Chloe." Cole shook her hand.

Dominic felt a surge of jealousy run through him. He set the duffel bag on the floor by the couch with a thud.

Cole turned to look at him, "Someone's grumpy."

Chloe laughed. She stopped when an unspoken conversation happened between the two brothers. "Shall we eat?"

Dominic looked at her, "Yes. I'm starving."

"Cole, let me get you a plate. You can join us."

Cole smirked at Dominic while he glared back.

Dinner was good. Cole backed off, much to Dominic's enjoyment, and Chloe chatted with the two of them easily.

After everything was cleaned up, Cole pulled on his jacket. "Gotta go. Have some paperwork to fill out." He nodded to Dominic, "Stay safe."

"Always." Cole waved at the two and then left. Dominic turned to see Chloe looking at him with her hands on her hips. "What?"

"Are you jealous?"

He felt his face heat up, "No."

"Yes you are. I saw it right away."

"How?"

"Maybe when you threw your duffel bag your brother so kindly brought to you, on the floor. Or maybe when I spoke to Cole, you gave him a death stare. Or maybe when at dinner, all your comments were directed to me."

Busted. "Sorry. I guess I was a little rude. And jealous." He added at her look.

Chloe's expression softened, "You have nothing to be jealous about."

What? "What?"

"I like Cole. He's nice. But I like you more. I mean, who can resist a guy who saved your life from bullets? Twice." She held up two fingers.

He chuckled. "I suppose. Sorry for being hostile."

She kissed his cheek, "I forgive you."

He stared at her. Wow, was she beautiful. They stared at each other for a moment, before she said something about going to read. He sat down on the couch opposite her to do some paperwork. However, he was very distracted.

By the beautiful woman sitting next to him.

At 10:00 Chloe declared herself fit for bed. He stood when she did. "Goodnight."

Chloe smiled at him, "Goodnight."

And she turned to go to sleep.